Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SERIOUS RAM prob.

• Please log in to reply

Jackler

Jackler

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
Alright, Ive a compaq presario 5430US, Which came with 2 256 sticks of RAM, being PC2100.

I recently decided to upgrade to two 512MB sticks, which from all the research ive done, my compuuter is compatible with. I bought the RAM, took my cover off and unplugged the power, grounded myself and installed the RAM. I put everything back together, and now theres no Video. The monitors just blank. I tried a different monitor various times through my tests, to no avail. I replaced the new ram with the old, switched my video card out, and its just ded. The computer starts up fine, its usual whirrl as it comes on, and sounds the same, but no matter what, no video comes up..

This is freaking me out bad, im afraid i Fryed my comp somehow.

Please respond ASAP.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Jackler,

Do you get any error beeps?
What happens when you remove all the RAM from the machine and turn it on? does it give you an error beep?

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Nope, no sounds. Even with the RAM completely removed, it just starts up like usual. No beeps. and no video..

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Sounds like either motherboard or power supply

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
[bleep]..I doubt its the power supply, because it seems to be accepting power fine.

What kind of advice could you give? Is there anyway to replace a compaq 5430US Presario mobo?|?

I dont even know if they do replacements...

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
bump

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I had a similar problem with my own PC a few years back, it would power up, all the fans would work, no video, no error beeps nothing and it turned out to be the powersupply. I've also had the same thing on a HP Vectra VL420DT (P4 1.7GHz) only last year.

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
how do i track the problem down?

Before I spend a good 500 on building a new PC(Which I wish to do, just dont have the money for yet), how can I find out if the comp is worth salvaging?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Do you have an old Power supply you can connect up?

Jackler

Jackler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Nope, however I took the comp. to a repair shop to get the PSU tested, and it turns out I just didnt push the RAM in fully. This perplexed me, because 1) I thought when the RAM wasnt in it was supposed to beep?

and 2) I pushed it as far as it would comfortably fit, and pushed the latches down. I wasnt aware you push until it snaps down itself.

Granted he let me know my comps gonna fail in the near future from the wear he could see on the Mobo.

Thats gravy though, I was getting ready to buy a barebones kit off Tigerdirect in the next months anyway.

On a side note, anyone know where I can find barebone kits or general comp items for cheap? lol, just a random off-topic question before I spend 500 dollars on a system I could get cheaper.