Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can i transfer files from comp/comp using router?

• Please log in to reply

mitchbade

mitchbade

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, i not very good with the technical side of computers and i was wondering how to go about doing this. I picked up a wirless router a couple months ago and set it up myself!(yes i know it shocked me too) anyway ive heard of this before but not exactly sure how to do it, I am trying to pull about 1000 songs from my other computer using the router. if anyone know a easy way to get started help is apprieciated!

Advertisements

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
This is exactly what I just did with my new computer. It's pretty easy - just moving the songs to the shared folder, and then dragging them onto your newer comp's music folder (or where ever you want them)

First, make sure all your songs are in the 'Shared Documents' folder. (My computer -> Shared Documents)
If they aren't just drag them there

Then, if you go to your other computer, go to 'My Network Places'. It should be in your Start menu under 'My Computer'. If it isn't, you can also find it by going to 'My Computer'. On the left side of the 'My Computer' window, you should see 'Other Places'. 'My Network Places' should be listed in there. Click on that, and then you should be able to click on the other computer there, and it should lead you to where you put the songs. From there, you can drag them to your comp.

Once they're transferring, it could take a while, but at least you don't have to burn a million CD's :whistling:

Hopefully I explained that well.. I know you're not stupid with comps, I just dragged it out and made it too wordy and simple, lol...

mitchbade

mitchbade

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hey i got it! thanks i really apprieciate it

nikorasu

nikorasu

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
No prob. Glad I actually helped for once... usually I'm just full of questions, heheh