Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Noisy HD

• Please log in to reply

this is epic

this is epic

• Pip
  • 4 posts
So my cousin gave me a HD of his that was full of spyware and some horrible virus, I completely cleared the HD of everything and I was gonna use it to store my work and software on it since its a 120GB drive but for some reason it makes this weird whining sound when the computer boots up.. I dunno what the problem could be i been messing around with everything for about 3 days now I even got another HD from an old computer to plug it in to see if it did the same thing and it does not, so could something have totally went wrong witht he HD?

Advertisements

Neo.CDT

Neo.CDT

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Are you sure that HD makes those noises?
Maybe its the cooler or something else

Neo

this is epic

this is epic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
yeah im sure, because when i take that one out and put in a different one it doesnt make any noise at all.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello this is epic and welcome to G2G!

A whining noise is often a sign that the hard drive is near failure. Backup your data and replace it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Based on what you said, it sound like the disk could be close to being toast.

You might check to see if you can get a diagnostic program to test the disk from the manufacturer of the disk. Many companies offer such a program to make it easier to determine what is going on before the person returns the disk, but it helps with disks that are no longer under warranty too.