Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Packard Bell

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Hey, can anyone help me! I'm trying to fix a Packard Bell computer for a woman who's 71 years old. Yea, Packard bell. It's a Packard Bell, Legend 409 CDT. I need all the drivers for it, and I'm tried going to google to search for it. I've also tried going to Packard Bell's web-site, but I need some type of flash ??? software to completely view their site. For whatever reason, I'm unable to download it. Which means ???? Can someone provide me w/ a direct link to a site, where I can download all the drivers?

Thanks!

Romeyrome

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Probably the best place to get drivers is here.

http://list.drivergu...y788/index.html

I would not spend much time trying to fix that computer. So many of the parts are proprietary you can only guess at which driver works with some hardware. In the old pentium and pent 2 series the modem and sound card were built into the same card. I know because i have a P-B legend 1750( pentium 200) and a P-B S606(pentium 2-233) still running with Win 95 on them. You will also find that if you wipe the drive and don't use the recovery CD that comes with the computer windows will not install on that HD. It seems the P-B bios requires a "tattoo" recovery CD to work.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 11 May 2006 - 03:35 AM.

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
SRX660:

Thanks! It's an old lady, and unfortunately, she doesn't have that much money. I wish she could get a new computer. In addition, we'll unable to find her recovery disk. I was planning on using the Windows 95 disk I have. Do you have any other suggestions?

Romeyrome

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I can make this suggestion but it is up to you if you think its worth the effort. I do a lot of buying from Ebay. I look for older computers to setup for some of the retiree's that do not want to pay the cost of a new computer. What i look for is the H-P vectra 1.0 gig computers like this one that is for sell on Ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

That computer i would not bid over $60 for and with shipping to my house would cost me $90. After putting win 98SE on the computer i would sell it for around $120. They will use their old monitor and other parts on these puters. I can also afford to give some monitors away with the computer since i went to a auction and bought a couple of pallets of monitors for $30 for each pallet. It came out to about $1.50 for each monitor so i have been giving them away to get rid of them. This gives the people a fast enough computer to do most anything they want since most are interested in downloading pictures from their camera and internet surfing. I will set them up to do what they want. I really dont make any money from the sale but i do get a lot of referalls from them. I also usually end up upgrading the computers for them although i do tell them to not spend too much money. I have sold more than 30 of these to people and have yet to have any come back to me.

SRX660

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
SRX660:

That's an excellent idea, thanks!

Romeyrome