Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

formaing computer every 9 months

• Please log in to reply

daniel_c

daniel_c

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
i have to format my computer every 9 months and sometimes less becuase MS windows XP keeps on stuffing up on me erros like fatal error explorer will now close, it happens when i clik on any program or my computer. than i have to format my computer. ive got the legal version of xp. iv'e got a asus A7v400-MX bother board 1gb of RAm and 1.6GHz CPU.

any ideas y this is hapening?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you install / uninstall a lot you can remove shared files

Generally, if you set a restore point before installing anything, you can undo any adverse effect

Also, if you delete files, leave them in the recycle bin until you have rebooted a few times, just to check the PC can run without them

Use add / remove to uninstall programmes

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
i do unistall and reinstall stuff. is that the cause of XP stuffing up?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you use add / remove, you should be warned if some files are needed by another programme

Setting restore points will help

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
i have tried setting resotore points. but i still have to formatt it

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What makes you decide to format

What does the PC stop doing etc

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
errors pop up and the computer self restarts, and sometimes i cant even load the OS

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you set the restore points, do you try any of those before formatting

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

daniel_c

daniel_c

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
ok ill try that.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Using that works when windows does not load and is as good a way as any to run system restore

You could then run this when windows does load

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot