Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Client IP address refuses to upload to web

• Please log in to reply

Bravos

Bravos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have some sort of problem regarding IP addresses.

I was originally working with a newer laptop (3Gh, 1.2G Ram Win XP Home) connected directly to the internet and have some projects; websites developed in FrontPage and link development in Link-Assistant which were developed on that machine.
For some reason I had technical problems on that machine which made some applications i.e. Link-Assistant and Article Announcer unreliable. So decided to reformat and re-install Windows XP Pro and the software packages.

Reformat completed successfully and upgrade to Win XP Pro. Applications now stable. BUT…

I also have an older laptop that I have reformatted in the same way and have set up a local network with the older machine (800Mh, 256k RAM, Win XP Pro) as the host. This is because I leave it running with background applications while I can mess around installing/restarting etc on the newer machine without disturbing the internet connection or the scheduling of the background tasks. It also serves as a backup for my main machine.

On the newer machine I can no longer publish directly to the web from FrontPage or from Link-Assistant. However, I can publish exactly the same projects from the older, host, machine.

On the newer, client, machine from FrontPage I get:

MS Office FrontPage error report:
500 I won’t open a connection to 192.168.0.116 (only to 81.158.254.211) 500 Unknown command.

This occurs on the client machine but does not occur on the host.

In Link-Assistant – which has the facility to publish modified link pages from its database directly to the server. Same problem although on screen reporting is too fast to be visible. Same situation: no problem from the host but no upload possible from the client machine.

In the process of trying to solve this problem I have done IPrelease and IPrenew on the client machine. I could not tell you what the addresses were before but now:

Host IPconfig is

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :………………
IP Address :192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask. : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : ……………..

PPP adapter BT openworld
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :……………….
IP Address :81.158.254.211
Subnet Mask. :255.255.255.255
Default Gateway :81.158.254.211

Client IPconfig:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :mshome.net
IP Address :192.168.0.116
Subnet Mask. : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.0.1

PPP adapter BT openworld
Connection-specific DNS Suffix :………………..
Autoconfiguration IP Address :169.254.108.100
Subnet Mask. : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway :…………………..

The last week or so has been a voyage of discovery for me in terms of technical education so although I know more now than when I started - please keep it simple!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your client
PPP adapter BT openworld
is generating ip information using Automatic Private IP Addressing

This means that the device cannot obtain the needed network information for internet service.

Where are you trying to publish information too (your local server or a remote one)?

What is the exact configuration of your network? (What is connected to what using what ?)

Bravos

Bravos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Gerryf

Thanks for the response.

I am trying to publish to the web. I have websites on remote hosting services that I need to edit frequently. Networking between the 2 machines is no problem.

Host is connected to internet through a BT Intel Anypoint DSL modem with USB connection.

Host has no network cable socket (its maybe 5/6 years old) so using Linksys 10/100 Etherfast card to connect to cross-over cat 5e patch cable directly to client. ie. very basic - not through a router.

Client connects to all peripherals through a powered USB hub.

Thats about it.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You need to set up internet connection sharing on the client given that setup.

This will set up your host as a gateway (and dhcp server), and redirect incoming traffic from the client to the internet

You would likely have a much easier time with a cheap router that has a built in dhcp server which can serve as the gateway for both machines, and also the dhcp server/switch for you internal network

Bravos

Bravos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Basically, if it will work then thats ok by me.

But you don't sound enthusiastic.
Is it complicated - or likely to cause me other problems in the future?

Bravos

Bravos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
gerryf

I took your advice and tried to follow the Help instructions on Internet Connection Sharing which goes as far as turning off Automatically Detect Setting – and then the Wizard reported that it was unable to complete the task and I should make settings manually.

In the meantime I was thinking through your response and thought I could still achieve my main objectives by swapping the machines around. If I make the newer machine the host then the older machine, now the client, can still provide a local backup facility and also maintain the schedule on the background blog and ping tasks even if it is occasionally unable to communicate because the host is restarting or offline for any reason.

So I swapped them around and reran the local network setup Wizard on both machines.

When setting up the new machine, former client, as the host.
Run Network Setup Wizard.
Select your private connection.
I am given 3 choices:
- 1394 connection. 1394 Net Adapter
- Wireless Network connection – does not concern us.
- Local Area Connection Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

LAN Realtek is ticked on.

Wizard failed due to the settings and offered either to finish and set up manually or go back and change the settings.
At same time the former host, now client, popped up with Windows – System error: There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.

Reset host to automatically detect and reran Wizard on host and client. All OK

I have 3 results.
1. Download speed is very slow – so slow to begin with that I gave up trying to do anything on Saturday and went for a walk. (today is better – 35 sec to download Geeks to Go page and 20 sec for bbc.co.uk but still pretty grim)
2. I can now publish from BOTH machines. I was expecting not to be able to publish from the client as before.
3. LAN Settings| Automatically Detect – is ON.

QUESTIONS:
1. Why have I got 2 local connections identified when there is only one (disregarding the wireless connection. Note I have previously connected to another network when traveling with this laptop so is it reporting my previus setups or what is physically present?). Shown as available:
- 1394 connection. - 1394 Net Adapter
- Wireless Network connection
- Local Area Connection - Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

2. Is the speed problem anything to do with my local setup or one of the usual intermittent slowdowns as some techno problems sweep through BT or elsewhere on the net?

3. I would prefer to maintain my original objective of having the older machine as the host with permanent connection for background blog & ping tasks so would appreciate your advice as to how to set up the ICS – unless you recommend against that route.

Finally, how do I make a contribution for your time?.