Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

possable failing hard drive

• Please log in to reply

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hey guys recently i have been having some problems with my computer. ok first of all i have noticed that the hard drive is making some different sounds. the sounds arent grinding or whirling or anything it just doesnt sound like it used to its really strange.
also along with the noices i have come to suspect that my hard drive is failing. when i boot up the machine it goes through its usual single beep, cheacks the memory and all of that boot up sequence stuff then displays the windows XP screen the bar moves across and looks like it is loading but the hard drive light isnt blinking. i then have to hit the reset button and restart the system after the system does the usual beep and all of that then the screen comes up saying that a recent hardware change has caused the system not to boot properally. it asks wheather i want to start windows normally, boot into safe mode, boot with last known good configeration settings and all of that.

sometimes i hit last known..... sometimes i hit normally sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt could all of this lead someone to suspect that the hard drive is failing?

thanks you for your time reading this it has been a long post

i ran a hard drive test from seagate and it returned no errors could it be something else?
i do have my computer overclocked but i returned to all of the original settings to see if that would help but so far it didnt.

once again i thank you for taking the time to read this long and very boring post ur wisdom is greatly appreciated,
thankyou,
troppo

Edited by troppo, 11 May 2006 - 05:44 AM.

Advertisements

Anton1382

Anton1382

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
What kind of computer do you have?

troppo

troppo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well anton if you looked at my sig you would see the specifications of my computer.