Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Would it be safe to...?

• Please log in to reply

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My old PC had some files on the hard drive that I would like to tranfer onto my new PC. Problem is that my old PC no longer works. I think I fried something, because it doesn't come on at all anymore. I'm not sure if I fried the harddrive or the processor. All I know is that it was running really hot and now doesn't work. So since there is a possibility that my old harddrive is no good, would it be safe to plug my old harddrive into my new PC?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You should be able to install the hd in your computer as a slave hd. Set the jumpers on the hd to make it slave.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello Gamerlicious,

I don't see why it should be a problem, the drive will either work or it won't.
Make sure to set it as a slave otherwise it will try to boot off that drive.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
You need to attach the disk other than as the master on the primary IDE controller. Sometimes companies are cheap and even though the machine has two IDE controllers, they put the hard drive and the CD drive on the same controller, which saves the cost of a second cable. So, you need to see what is on the machine and go from there.

Personally, I would suggest getting an external case (USB and/or firewire), then you can use the disk for backups and install and remove as needed.