Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Auto disconnect from internet after download done?

• Please log in to reply

JNye1964

JNye1964

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Good day everyone, my question is. I would like to download a very large program, and the best time to do this is during the night while everyone is sleeping, however, I don't want to keep my internet connection alive all night long. Is there away to disconnect from the internet, automatically after the download is done? I'm aware of download managers, but if I do it late at night I can download the whole program without any delay.

Thanks in advance.
jeff :whistling:

P.S. I'm using windows xp home edition

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi JN R U on dialup ?

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Yes, at 56k

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
check out some of the download managers...just found one online (not gonna post t he link cuz i know nothing about this particular application and it's safety) that has the option to hang up upon download completion

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Well, if your going to check it out, would you let me know if it is any good and give me a link?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i have no use for a download manager so i'm not planning on evaluating the software...but i guess if you would like to here's the link http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ like i said...no clue about the safety of this program...don't know if it comes with any virii or spyware..so that's up to you

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you I will check it out, and to all, if there are anymore suggestions keep them coming.

Thanks again
:whistling:

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
I use Internet Download Manager (IDM); it has the capacity to schedule downloads (it will even shut down your computer once the download finishes, if you schedule it this way, or just disconnect your modem, etc..).. Overall, it's clean, fast and works well. Just make sure you fiddle with the Options, as it has the tendancy to want to save everything to your C:\ Drive, but that's easily changed.

JNye1964

JNye1964

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I just want to take this time to say thank you, I did go and download the download manager and it seems to be a very good program. I would suggest that you give it a go. I'm downloading openoffice, and this is a very large file, over 89 g. So problem is resolved and again I say thanks.

jnye2006 :whistling: