Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home to XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Just a simple one I hope
Is it possible to ‘upgrade’ from XP Home to XP Pro using the XP Pro CD and just doing a full install or should I uninstall XP Home first?
Will anything be lost from for example the Start/Programs Menu

Thanks

Chris

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to do the upgrade i believe you have to have the actual upgrade cd...i've never personally tried to do the upgrade with a full version cd...while logged into windows...put the xp cd in and when that loads up does it give you an upgrade option? if so than you should just be able to choose that which will upgrade the OS and leave the rest of your stuff intact....if it doesn't give you the upgrade option...then you may need to format and reinstall to get it installed correctly

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hi

Thanks for correcting my error :whistling:

I'll dig out the CD and let you know as soon as possible

Chris

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

I have had a look round the options offered on the XP Pro setup CD - You are right theres no trace of an upgrade option

I assume that an upgrade CD is a purchase item from MS and not a download

Thanks for your time

Chris

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, a purchase.

Really, though, why the upgrade--99 percent of people do not need xp Pro

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks

The only reason is that I have one machine with XP Home the other has XP Pro - I just thought I'd like both the same

Chris

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
other than the style (green versus blue taskbar), they are identical for most home purposes.

Here's something I wrote up a loooong time ago

http://www.thecomput...les/ProHome.php

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Thanks

Not being 'technical' I fully agree with the line "If you don't know why you need XP pro already, you don't."

The other quote of particular interest to me is "Windows XP Home and Professional are virtually identical in terms of networking." I aim to set up a home network once I get my Malware problems sorted, of course, with the help of you guys. I've an on going Malware topic at present

So re the original question - I'll leave well alone and continue as I am - cheaper as well which cant be bad :whistling:

Chris

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
*dsenette wonders if G2G's operating systems forum needs a new pinned topic

*dsenette pokes gerry

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When it comes to networking, the issue is: are you going to setup a domain? If so, you must have windows xp pro. IE, you need pro to join a domain

If you are talking a workgroup, to share files or printers Home is absolutely fine.

Chris - Thecleancar

Chris - Thecleancar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Hello

Just a workgroup - 2 PCs (One XP Home and one XPPro) sharing files and a printer - got to get the problems fixed first

Thanks

Chris