Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply Problem

• Please log in to reply

kwier

kwier

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having some power supply issues...
A system which had been working fine wouldn't boot yesterday. It did not even POST, the fans whirred slightly & then just stopped. The system had a 500W ATX power supply. Of course I suspected the power supply & tried a 250W ps that i had in another system. It booted just fine w/ this ps. We purchased a new 500W ps & installed it. Nothing, same as the original problem. So I tested this new ps on another system & it booted right up. Put the 250W back on the problem machine & once again it booted up without a problem. I also had a 450W ps in another system so I tried that one & it too booted up. So I installed it into the case, turned it on & once again, I got nothing, No POST & fans start up & stop. This is the same power supply that booted up just a few minutes before. So once again I reinstalled the 250W ps and it booted right up.
Needless to say, I am completely baffled. Why does the 250W ps work every time, the 450W worked before it was installed in the machine & the 500W doesn't boot up the system at all?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! If more details about the system are needed, I can supply those too.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
are we sure it's a atx mobo? is it an atx 24v? or what?