Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What Type Of Site Do You Recomend?

• Please log in to reply

NintyFan

NintyFan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I' am thinking of redesigning my site what do you recomend using?
Flash?
Html?
Php?
:whistling:

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Flash is ok for slight animatitions - but a whole site in Flash sucks.
XHTML 1.0 Strict + CSS is the necessary requirements for a good static site IMO.
And you should only use PHP if it's dynamic (mainly if it stores stuff to a database).

I hope this helps :whistling:

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Use php, with a css stylesheet attached, and maby a few flash animations?

TaNkZ101

TaNkZ101

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
sometimes flash animations are really cool, for example for a header (if it's not over-done). i just wish i had flash skills lol

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
You can learn flash really easily. Just browse google and you can oick it up in a tick!

:whistling:

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I am fairly certain we have some great tutorials here at GTG for flash :whistling:

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Super lite weight php and css powered almost image less site.
Like mine
[Deleted link, web site does not exits any more]
Took me only two hours to get my site to look like that from the previous look.

Edited by Michael, 16 November 2006 - 05:05 PM.

BlackHalo

BlackHalo

• PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
You have to consider the market for your site. If it's a site for the greater public, you might want to keep the flash to a bare minimum (not everyone has a dsl connection or flash-players) so it might be frustrating for them to access your site. If you're going to change the content of your page fairly often, you have to consider php (for dynamic pages).

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

You have to consider the market for your site. If it's a site for the greater public, you might want to keep the flash to a bare minimum (not everyone has a dsl connection or flash-players) so it might be frustrating for them to access your site. If you're going to change the content of your page fairly often, you have to consider php (for dynamic pages).

This is good advice. Just creating a site with Flash because it "looks cool" is not the best choice. There is more to a site than looking cool.

Like stated, pinpoint your target audience. What are their needs? What are their average resources (gamers are more likely to be able to handle high end graphics and flash than the businessman looking for information for example)?

If your site is of an informative nature, business related then skip the flashy stuff and create a site that is easy to read and navigate with a neutral color scheme. Keep the bells & whistles to a bare minimum. These people don't care about all that and if anything it will turn them away from your site.

There is nothing worse than going to a site where you found some great information to read up on and you cant because of a horrible color choice that does not facilitate reading or has flashy things all over the place distracting you.

If it is geared towards a gaming, graphic, or high tech community then flash would be more appropriate. They more than likely have the resources to view this sort of site and are more inclined to appreciate it more than your average every day internet user.

Target your audience, research similar sites, diagram the layout and content of your site on paper first, determine your skill level to see if you can make this happen or if you will require assistance, consider your marketing and SEO options, create the site.