Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't print from and then can't close Explorer

• Please log in to reply

stucuk

stucuk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Folks,

Standard Windows XP Home on Dell PC with IE6 installed and both patched up to date. System has Norton Internet Security 2005 and AdAware on, both full checks produce negative response. In all aspects except that described below it works fine.

Go into Internet Explorer, view a few sites, close it no problem. Go in and try and print anything via any available method get the following message:-

"IE Script Error
Access is Denied
Line: 93
Char: 1
Code: 0
c:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg"

This information is always exactly the same. Try and close Explorer after that either from the menu or pressing the 'X' and it will not but can be used perfectly well, only way to close is from Task Manager which generates an error with 0 error codes.

Have tried the IEFixer to no success and tried replacing the iepeers.dll file as per instructions from other postings and MS KnowledgeBase, makes no difference.

Really got me! Anyone got any ideas?? Many thanks.

Advertisements

jmoney3457

jmoney3457

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
hi stu try this..> http://www.sureshots...ripterrors.html

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Hi jmoney3457 and thanks for the reply.

Went to it and found that both those options were already selected! :blink: Tried unselecting, restarting, selecting, restarting but to no effect.

Any other ideas, or anyone else? :whistling: Many thanks.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Is this a recent problem, or one you have been battling for awhile? If recent, have you installed any new software or hardware? Have you tried to repair IE?
http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm
http://www.helpwithw...P/howto-03.html

HTH
Johanna

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for your reply Johanna.
No this is a recent problem that literally materialised out of nowhere, no known hardware or software installations have taken place - although automatic Windows updates may well have. Other than that it was almost one day it worked, the next day it didn't and it started about two weeks ago.
I do wonder whether the update described at http://support.micro...kb/912812/en-us may have had something to do with it as this would have probably been installed about the right time frame.
As you may have gathered, its not my PC so I haven't got ready access to it.

Anyway I shall have another look and if I get nowhere follow your suggestions through. Many thanks.

stucuk

stucuk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
If anyone is still looking at this I carried out the suggestion to do a full malware check and removal and that appears to have done the trick - there were very few infected objects on there but one of them was obviously the cause of the problem which appeared to have the name 'DotNet'.

Thanks for the help folks.

Regards, Stu ...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Thanks for posting how you solved the problem. It helps other people who have the same symptoms when they search, as well as lets us know that we can "close the book" on your case.

Johanna