Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Computer Fails To Recognize External DVD-R

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,

I actually have two questions for you guys. First off - my TDK DVD-R 880N external drive lately has not been recognized. I've looked up problems with this and found people with similar problems. I have no idea why it would all of the sudden stop working. I remember I was trying to burn a CD one day in Itunes, and it said that it wouldn't burn. Luckily enough, when my Dad bought this computer it already came with a pretty decent internal CD burner, so I can still burn CD's from that, but I really would like to backup some of my files with DVD-R's (not a million little blank 700 meg CD-R's). My TDK burner is connected through a Firewire Port (which has 3 slots for firewires) that I installed myself a while back. I know that these slots are working, because I am able to capture video from my camera using all 3 slots (which is the reason I bought the firewire-card in the first place - video editing). It just so happens that I had two free slots, and burning CD's and DVD's would be a whole lot faster through firewire ports with my external burner driver. Whenver I plug and unplug the burner from the ports, I hear the "bloo-bloop!" sound from my computer (meaning something has either been connected or disconnected), but yet it fails to recognize the burner. The little green light on the burner also turns on and off at this moment. Moreover, to save you guys time - I do not have the original disc for the burner. I have also tried to use the burner like I used to use it - through USB ports - and it pretty much does the same thing it was doing with the Firewire ports. I have the cables to use either one - but I prefer firewire. Is there anyway you guys could help me fix this??? :blink:

Also - my second question - I have two drives on my computer. My C-Drive with 8.79 gigs and my D-Storage Drive with 65.7 gigs. Like I said - my father got this computer - he bought it from the computer technician at his work, so it's a pretty cool computer with blue and red lights coming out of this plastic-see-through-box. Well the thing about it is, The C-Drive is supposed to have 8.79 gigs, but it really only has like a Gig and a half, which is most of the time full for me. The D-Drive is really only a Storage drive, meaning It's hard for me to run most programs from it, as they want to automatically install to the C-drive. I've found ways around this problem like making my own "Program Files" folder in the D-Storage Drive. But both of these drives are becomming full for me. I am a music lover and have tons of my CD's on my D-Drive. My question is -- Is it possible to reformat one drive on your computer without the XP Disc? I would love to format my C-Drive so that I may finally have the right amount of space so that I can actually play games and run real programs. I believe I was able to look up the XP serial number in System Info. And as I've said, I do not have the original XP Disc with me. I am using an NTFS formatted drive currently for the C-Drive / My Computer. If you guys could help me with these two things I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to download anything without having to delete something I really needed. (And yes - I ask both things because I was going to backup my music files on DVD-R discs, so that I could try and have more space on both drives, but my C-Drive really only has picture files and documents on it, and it has barely any space ----- even the program files section is pretty empty - it's almost as if my C-Drive has no space on it at all even though it's telling me that it's supposed to have 8.79)

PLEASE HELP !!!!! :help: :whistling:

Thank You Sincerely in Advance,
Daniel :)

Advertisements

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi, sorry for bumping this, but I have been sitting her patiently for over and hour and I would love your guys's help. I am willing to work with you quickly and efficiently to solve the problem. All I ask is for your help. If you read my above post you will see two problems that co-depend on each other. I only have a little time before I head out and I would love to try and solve this now, if possible.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Edited by hysteria, 11 May 2006 - 04:10 PM.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
For the second question, you can use a program like Partition Magic to change your partitions. You could, for example, delete your D: partition and then resize your C: partition to take up the whole disk. But you will need to back up all your data on the D: drive, since that will destroy any info you had on there.

And have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the DVD-R?

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I tried to look up the driver for it on google but I came up empty handed, perhaps I should do more research.

But I did go to the Control Panel and tried to add new hardware, the DVD-R device was listed with a yellow error warning on the icon. It said this when I clicked it, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)" I'm not sure exactly what this means and how to reverse it, but I think it will get us somewhere.

That program that you recommended looks fantastic! So fantastic that I have actually downloaded it.
So you say that by merging these two drives, I will have my 8.69 gig C Drive added to my 65 gig Storage D Drive, making my computer just One 75 Gig C Drive? And that it will erase all my data (on the D Drive?)?

I'll be here to reply back.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Yes, you can put the two drives together, just make sure you read the documentation about it and that you back up your data. I know you may have to use several CD-Rs right now, but if you value your data, back it up.

I'm also coming up blank for drivers on the net. Here's what MS says about Code 43:

Code 43

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Recommended resolution

One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner. For more information about how to diagnose the problem, see the hardware documentation.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the Troubleshooting Wizard.

Gee, thanks MS.

If we can't find the drivers, we may be stuck. I don't know if it will help much, but it can't hurt, so let's try a tune up.

Download, install and runTune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Okay, I've done all that and still nothing. I guess it's time to start searching for the drivers, eh? Thanks man for helping me - I really appreciate it. :whistling:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It was worth a shot, but I wasn't expecting much. The drivers would really come in handy, but I can't seem to find them either. I'll look some more, but we might also have the posibility that the drive is broken since that's what the error said.

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I don't think it's broken. I haven't done a thing to it other than put a cd/dvd in or out. It still opens and closes - infact.

But check this out!

http://legacyproduct...vd8x8xsup.html#

I've been looking around on this site, there are some things to download towards the middle/bottom - I'm going to play around with them a bit until we find something definite.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It looks like one is a firmware upgrade. That's worth a shot. I'd also e-mail support to see if you can get new drivers.