Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop with windows xp

• Please log in to reply

whojob

whojob

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
my son has just got back from Iraq and his laptop won't go any further than the windows startup screen and then goes to a blank screen and youcan't see the desktop. It will come on in safe mode but I don't know if ther is anything I can do in safe mode to fix it and make windows come up like it should so you can see the desktop. please help, there are alot of pictures and videos on this laptop that he would like to get to.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start with a chkdsk

Start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

Say yes to run on next reboot.

Reboot, go take a walk this will take some time.

whojob

whojob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Tried that and it said systen clean but goes right back to a blank screen and windows still doesn't open up to the desktop. Is there anything else I can try?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in safe mode

Step 1

Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

On the general tab, select SELECTIVE START UP then uncheck
load system.ini
load win.ini
load startup services
load startup items

Reboot into normal mode.

Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

If not, Start > Run, type
msconfig
<enter>

check load startup items
Reboot.
Does the error repeat? If not, continue with the next part. If so, go to STEP 2.

msconfig
<enter>

check load startup services
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load win.ini
Reboot.

msconfig
<enter>

check load system.ini
Reboot.

Report back

-------------------------------------

STEP 2

When you find the error, repeating, you have arrived at the group that is causing the problem.

Leave everything as is and go to the tab with the same name as the one you just re-enabled and uncheck everything you find within the tab....reboot.

Does the probelm recur? If not, check one item and reboot, continuing until you discover the offending application/service

Then report back