Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Huge Problem.. HELP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then Windows NT, then CurrentVersion, and click on Winlogon.

In the right pane, scroll down to Shell. If the value (under the Data column) is not Explorer.exe, double click on Shell, type Explorer.exe in the Value Data field, and click "Ok".

Then expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and click on .exe The values in the right pane for this key should be as follows:

(Default) = exefile

Content Type = application/x-msdownload

If they are not as I listed them, change them the same way as I suggested for the first key. Let me know what you find.

Advertisements

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
The Explorer.exe is correct. However, when I go to edit the keys in HHKEY_CLASSES_ROOT it won't let me read the properties on .exe. It tells me Error Editing Value: Cannot Edit: Error reading the value's contents.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Should I try to merge the file dsenette sent me now that I can get into something?

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Here's another weird quirk. PDF's will open.. but nothing else will. I'm so confused and frustrated with this machine.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I tried another repair for the heck of it. It says it's deleting files and copying but it just doesn't seem like it. When it gets back to the logon screen I still have a password but everything is still screwed up.

I'm about to bite the bullet and format. This thing is driving me absolutely crazy. There has to be a way around this without formatting.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
well if there's no more ideas on this.. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and format. I guess I could add a second HDD and make the current one a slave and pull the data.. still going to be a pain though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the repair should be fixing this...i know i don't speak for everyone but we're at a point where the energy expended on fixing the issue as it is...is larger than you would need to backup your data and format..

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
yeah I agree. I don't understand why the repair isn't working at all. I searched all over msdn and microsoft support and of course that wasn't any help. I think they don't put much support out there so they make a person have to pay to get the meat of it. *sigh* Thanks for all the help from everyone :whistling:

/begin format

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try one more thing before you format...give me a few minutes to type the instructions... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Get back to the Registry Editor and expand to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Right click on .exe and choose "Delete". Accept the change.

Then right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, point to "New" and select "Key". Type .exe in the name box and click outside the box to set the name.

Right click on the .exe key you just created, point to "New", and select "String Value". An entry should appear in the right pane...type (Default) in the name box and click outside the box to set the string name. Double click on (Default) and type exefile in the "Value Data" field...click "Ok"

Right click on .exe again, and create a "String Value" named Content Type and click outside the box to set the name. Double click on Content Type and type application/x-msdownload in the "Value Data" field...click "Ok".

Now right click on .exe again, point to "New" and select "Key". Type PersistentHandler in the name field, and set the name. Right click on PersistentHandler, point to "New" and select "String Value". Type (Default) in the name box for this string and set the name. Double click on (Default) and type {098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb} exactly as shown into the "Value Data" field...click "Ok".

Close Registry Editor and reboot. Let me know if you are able to complete this procedure...and if it produces a positive result.

Advertisements

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
ok thanks wannabe1.. give me a few and I'll report back with the results. Glad I haven't started formatting yet

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
it won't let me delete the key. It tells me::: Connot delete key: Error whle deleting key.

After that the box on the right goes blank. However if I click another folder and then go back to .exe, the value is back. I tried adding a new one and seeing if I could just overwrite but it gave me an error on that as well. I exported the key to the desktop in case I could edit it there then overwrite but that obviously isn't going to work either.

Anything else to try??

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
uhh.. so now I was reinstalling windows.. and it came up with a BSOD then shutdown. Now when I reboot it tells me there are no drives at all installed. Did my mobo just die out?! AARGH!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's go into the BIOS setup and set the BIOS to the "Default" settings. This is usually accomplished by pressing the F5 key in BIOS, but look for the proper key at the bottom of the screen once you are in BIOS setup. Be sure to save the setting (F10) when you exit.

You might also see if the CPU temperature is listed in the BIOS...some motherboards support this, some don't, but an overheating processor may be the culprit here. Also check to see if your drives are listed in BIOS...that will help us determine just where the problem is.

Once you have set the BIOS to default, try to start the machine again. We may also clear the CMOS, but let's see if BIOS Default gets us anywhere.

dnbfreak

dnbfreak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
The devices aren't listed in the bios. I'll check out the other settings and report back.