Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oblivion RE-rating

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
So' I'm sure all of you's have heard about the oblivion re-rating 'scandal'. If you don't, i'm providing some links below. But anyways, oblivion was re-rated on may 3rd because it included "excesive blood and gore" and "nudity". however, the nudity was acessed through a third party patch/mod. so you'd have to actually download it off the internet, so it was NOT betheda's fault. but Hillary Clinton and the ever-present Jack Thompson claims that it's still bethesda's fault. i hope that modder is happy. so, anyways, what're your opinions? let's open these forums doors to bashing ESRB (if that's allowed?) and commenting on gaming censoring and stuff like that. remember, let's keep these appropiate because this IS a family website.
here's some links for oblivions re-rating:
http://www.gamasutra....php?story=9171

http://videogames1.m....php?id=6148925

ps-here's a little link-apparently jack thompson's ranting has gotten him in a 'little' trouble. :whistling:
http://arstechnica.c...51019-5458.html

Edited by dllp117, 11 May 2006 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well thats what happens when you let prudes and religous zealots hand out ratings.

The nudity mod wasnt really anything explicit it just removed the stuck on bras the female characters wore which you only saw if you took all there clothes after they were dead, now i dont know about anyone else but i wasnt offended by it, shock and horror women have breasts, you let kids suck on them for on average 4 years(a surprising statistic to me actually) but after that you arent allowed to see them till your 18 apparently a bit stupid dont you think. And the blood was there to start with but really it would be stupid without it and its not even close to being classified as gore or even excessive the worse that happens is some ground splashes its not real running blood or anything.

Mods are third party modifications and without them the whole gaming community would be alot weaker and not half as fun or dynamic some of the best games started life as mods of other games. I dont blame the modder its actually a simple mod and adds some realism to the game, my game has that mod on and its nothing inappropriate.

But like i said you let prudes and zealots rate your games thats what you get. But im from the country that produced such memorable games as GTA and manhunt so maybe we are to relaxed here(i dont think so).

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
amen, brother. yeah, i definately don't know what the bleep ESRB was doing, they looked at the game, rated it a "T", then, two monthes later, they take it back because it had a little bit more violence and blood then they origanaly thought? AND a nudity mod that could only be accessed if you downloaded it? Sounds pretty dangorous to me. oh, and to jack thompson-if you don't like the game...DON'T PLAY IT!!! IT'S THAT EASY!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
That Jack Thompson guy is a complete idiot, anywhere else in the world someone would knock on his door and give him a slap one day for being a nitwit. Mind you anywhere but the US he wouldnt have gotten anywhere he would have just been told to grow up and be sent on his merry way.

Really what i think someone should do is send him off to live in one of those Amish villages away from all the evil technology and kids who are actually in touch with there nature instead of hiding from it like people like that.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I think it's hillarious that he's getting in trouble for being so aggresive. like that one lady, a couple of years ago, that he called a "drunken ***** lesbian who doesn't know what she's doing." then the FBA (does anybody know who these guys are? it sounds like FBI) got him...and his proposal to pay 10k to anybody making a video game that's the same thing he's trying to ban...except more violent. he said that he wanted the character to "pee on their brain stems" sick. just sick.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

i hope that modder is happy.

Whats that suppose to mean? As a modder myself, when we mod a game, its awesome. We mod the game because we bought it and like it. (Or the graphics and its potiental for a mod :whistling:)

So why is the modder at fault in your opinion if thats what you were saying? He did something HE wanted to do with the game, why is a different rating HIS fault? Its really the ESRB's.

It ain't the modder's fault, its the weird people up at ESRB that graded the game based on out-side game modifications.

Just stating something, the modder should be happy, he did what he wanted to do with the game. (Also, why do personal opinions(Hiliary Clinton's appearently...) influence ESRB's decision? I bet if me, Joe The Public, complained they wouldn't do jack.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I get mad at Nudist mod makers because they need girlfriends more than anyone in the world so they make these so called Nude Modes instead of just going online and finding certain websites or going out and actually *dramatic music* TALKING TO GIRLS!!

Comrade, I love modders who mod weapons, buildings, vehicles (San An) but I hate those who make nude mods.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
yeah, to comrade general-i meant exactly what black pandemic said. I love armor, weapon, creature, and race mods, but nudity mods are just stupid. the guys who make those REALLY need to get a life. plus, they're just a 'little' perverted. i totally agree with black pandemic. and by "i hope that modder is happy" i meant that i hope that he's happy with all the mess he's caused. now when someone says 'modder' they think 'oh, you meen that nudity one?' they don't even count the other great mods that have been made. really, you must admit that modder has caused a HUGE mess for bethesda. and bethesda is really mad at them. they're making a patch to render the mod useless...which makes no sense, because if you have the mod, if you were someone who liked stuff like that, why would you get the patch? i suppose it's just a apology from bethesda (who SHOULDN'T be the one apologizing) to over-protective parent swho don't trust their kids any. oh well. que lastima.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Couldn't someone make nude mods to every PC game in existance. Then they'd all be re-rated. Now that would be funny.

But really though the Oblivian mod and the GTA hot coffee thing were both unaccessable through normal gameplay. The ESRB is dumb to count mods into the rating system.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Nudity shouldnt matter in games, it would be some sort of screwed up person thats never seen someone naked, adult content is different but nudity is something natural and i beleive that is the point people make especially in games that are supposed to be realistic.

dllp117

dllp117

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

But really though the Oblivian mod and the GTA hot coffee thing were both unaccessable through normal gameplay. The ESRB is dumb to count mods into the rating system.

unfourtenately (that's spelled really wrong) both the oblivion and GTA mods could be acsessed through the normal gameplay. for GTA, the hot coffe was already in the game, you only needed to type a cheat code in to see it. that's why it was targeted. that;s why esrb made such a big deal about it. i don't think that they could've done anything if it was just a mod. morrowind had about 20 some nudity mods, but since you had to download it, it was considered a thrid-party installation, and therfore it was not bethesda's fault. for the nudity in oblivion, it was also 'there', you just had to unlock an artfile that was stored in the construction set or program file. since the programs had 'put' the nudey stuff in, it was simpily unlocked by a third party, anybody could unlock it if they had the skills. i have no idea why the kindly folks at bethesda had the art file in there, but whatever the reason, it was in the programing of the game when it was released, so it was, apparently, bethesda's fault.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It wasnt there fault generally you put breasts on women thats what we are talking about, you know the things you spend the first year of your life at least clamped onto every few hours.

Apparently after about 4(average global figure) you arent allowed to see breasts till you are 18 in the media(although in most countries the age of consent is 16 so you can look at the real thing just not a picture of rendering of it.

Its total hipocrasy, GTA shows the hallmarks of where and who made it, you will notice that in its country of origin no one bothered, personally a sex emulation i think isnt as bad as beating ramdoms of the street or gang wars because sex is funnily enough legal and a requirement of survival as a species.

Its not Beths fault they were thinking like real people should, they used common sense: women have breasts so assuming you remove there shirt you should see them, makes sense maybe its just my being Scottish and European with all our crazy free thinking but i dont like prudes and hypocrites or religous zealots either for that matter.

Also as a point of fact the GTA and oblivion files were never made common knowledge by the makers or was it released by them, the files and mods were made with people with a significant amount of knowledge of coding all in their 20s. Not many under 16s have the knowledge or inclination to do that kind of thing to a game.