Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Automatic update icon dissapping.

• Please log in to reply

Riptide

Riptide

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Alright, so for my Windows Updates, I have it set to Automatic. I know a download is comming when the yellow sheild pops up. It then says: "Downloading updates..0%". Soon after the icon dissappears from the task bar. Eventually, a few days later the icon may pop up again.. and will work, but this is frustrating, and if I try to go to Automatic updates on the website it usually crashes. I suppose I could try again but, i'd rather try to sort this out.

If it helps any, I have DSL , so as soon as the computer is on, I'm techncially online if I see the situation right. Also, I just recently install Norton 2006 and it said something about Automatic updates it wanted to change or something so I let it. (though, maybe it was automatic updates for virus definitions) However, the problem existed before then.

If this problem was already posted (I looked back a few pages) I apologize and can lock this topic or whatever you'd like me to do.

Edited by Riptide, 11 May 2006 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the question is, are you getting and installing the updates or not?

If you have automatic updates set to automatically download and install, that is what you would expect (at least the automatic part, not the visit to windows update)

Riptide

Riptide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, I am able to get the updates eventually. I have them set to Automatic download. This is what usually happens though:

1) Computer loads up.
2) Windows automatic update icon appears if a new update is available.
3) Icon dissappears about ten seconds after appearing and does not return until computer is turned on again later. (though is not guarenteed to appear after a reboot)
4) Eventually after this goes on a few times, the icon stays, downloads the update and allows me to install it.

I know I'm all updated now though because I downloaded two updates yesterday. I don't know if the icon appears after a set amount of time though. At first I thought it might like to download with the icon hid but, DSL does not take that long, and it dosen't usually randomly appear. (Only at startup when the other icons appear.)