Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low FPS with good PC

• Please log in to reply

basketball346

basketball346

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hey all...

I have been getting really low (20-40 around people, 50 at most) fps playing counter strike condition zero. I just updated my computer with a new mobo and processor and i also downloaed the newest ATI drivers for my card.

My specs are:

Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel P4 LGA775 3Ghz
1 gig corsair ram
Asus x850XT PE 256 mb
80 gig western digital hd

Just reformated, reinstalled programs, ran a defrag on the new system and scanned for viruses. My last idea is to try omega drivers but other than that i would think i can get a great fps with this set up. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!!

Michael

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
I am no expert about that game and I don't know what cards get what with that game, but I would say its the video card. =/

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
The video card is fine. The game is very graphics intensive, so you're not gonna get 60fps unless you have the latest of everything.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Condition Zero was graphic intensive 8 years ago :whistling:

Do you run many programs under it (anti-virus, comp spec monitors, etc.)?

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Condition Zero was graphic intensive 8 years ago :whistling:

Do you run many programs under it (anti-virus, comp spec monitors, etc.)?

No when i run CZ i have almost nothing running except AIM. And its definately not the card. Its one of the top agp cards out right now. I tried Omega drivers and they also havent had any effect on my fps. My computer has just the barebones requirements on it right now. Havent even installed office. Only games, music and spyware scan programs.

Thanks for the help.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sounds router related or server related, test for the gfx card is to play another game see if your fps is better. High latencies and port problems can cause low fps or apparent low fps, make sure you have it set up properly, have you tried CSS its the latest one if it wont run youve got a prob.

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I got curious to see if it was my settings. I turned down all my settings as low as possible and ran the video stress test with counterstrike source. It got 41.49 fps. I then downloaded 3dmark03 and got 9417 marks. I ran it again and got 8415. I tried turning off hyperthreading and it was even worse. The problem seems to be that the cpu is having problems. My cpu test scores are EXTREMELY low in 3dmark03. I cannot figure it out. I bought this cpu so that i could game better, i actualy got a better fps out of my old IBM p4 1.8 gig then i do out of this p4 3Ghz HT chip. Let me know if you guys have any other clue what this might be.

I've also tried Omega drivers, old ATI drivers, and the newest ATI drivers. I looked at gigabyte and upgraded my BIOS, and attempted to to go asus for customersupport but i dont have the serial number to my card so i got lazy and didnt email them my problem.

I just think that 3dmark03 score is far too low. My processor only scores like 240 pts for that test. I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks,
Michael

basketball346

basketball346

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Well I checked my memory and it seems one was running at 333 Mhz instead of 400Mhz. I removed the slower one which brought me down to 512mb memory. My 3dmark03 score jumped up to 9815. I think it might have just been my memory. Now i'm off to buy a gig of pc3200 memory to put in here and hopefully that will solve my fps problems. Thanks for all your patience guys and gals!

Michael