Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD43.SYS causing blue screen and shutdown

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
It doesn't happen often but sometimes when I insert a CD into my CD/DVD Rom the computer would shutdown with a warning bluescreen. The error code is 0x000000B8.

After the computer reboots, at start up there'd be an error submitting process and after that an IE window comes up from Microsoft and tells me it was "DVD For Free (DVD43.SYS)" that caused the problem.

See I don't even have "DVD For Free". However, I do have DVD CSS+Region Free installed on my computer.

How do I avoid the problem from happening again? As I said it doesn't happen often but just now I put the same CD into the CD Rom and it happened twice in a row. Would be quite gutted if I were doing something important at the same time.

Cheers folks
chinofeliz

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Uninstall DVD CSS+Region Free and see if that helps.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
That will take a long time to tell ... Besides I really do need DVD CSS+Region Free regularly.

As I said I've always had DVD CSS+Region Free on the computer but so far the blue screen incident has happen three times and point to DVD43.

Any diagnosis/solution without having to uninstall DVD CSS+Region Free?

Appreciate it Zeus GB :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Does using SuperCleaner then CleanUp! - then Diskeeper Professional do the same thing? Cos I do those more than once everyday.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Except prefetch

Have you had the trial of tune up, or formatted since using it?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Excuse me I didn't get what you were saying. Did I mention TuneUp? I do have TuneUp Utilities 2006 in my computer it's not a trial. I have done any formatting so far.

Thanx very much :whistling:

PS - In SuperCleaner's cleaning tasks one of em is "Windows Prefetch Cache", is that the same thing with "prefetch"?
And oh, I don't have the default Windows Defragmenter anymore since I installed Diskeeper Pro.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Same thing, though no point over doing it

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
It happened again today, so I deleted DVD43.SYS from system32. It stopped. But what happens next time when I go to use DVD Region+CSS Free? Probably wouldn't work, would it?

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
It happened again today, so I deleted DVD43.SYS from system32. It stopped. But what happens next time when I go to use DVD Region+CSS Free? Probably wouldn't work, would it?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Probably not

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
That aside, I just don't understand it. I mean DVD Region+CSS Free had all those options by default that it'd start at system start up or when a media player program starts up but I didn't allow any of it.

So, if DVD Region+CSS Free wasn't running at my system startup then why when I inserted a CD into my CD Rom the very core component of it - DVD43 would cause a system shutdown?

Cheers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Tune Up start up manager will show you what is running

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
You think it would ay. But it's actually not the best one out there (cos I know there're more things coming up at start up but it's not showing em all) but it's the only thing I've got atm.

Been thru it many times, unticked/deleted all the entries that I thought were unnecessary. DVD43 is not even listed.

Cheers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Install it and check with tune up and msconfig, look through that now then see what is added when you install it, remove those ticks, click apply