Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Home Edition Help

• Please log in to reply

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I'm the administrator, and I've set up my kids as limit users in Windows XP home edition. For some reason, I'm unable to remove some programs and short cuts from their desktop. I've tried going into MyComputer, Hard Drive (C:/), Documents and Settings, Limited Account (Name of one of my children), then Desktop. I'm not able to see all the programs and short cuts on their Desktop, so I can delete them. I've even tried booting up in Save Mode, but still I'm not able to see the program icons, or the short cut icons on their Desktop. I've even tried logging on to one of the users' accounts, and deleting them that way. But I'm not allowed as you know, because I have limited rights.

Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Advertisements

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Being an Admin could you alter the kids account through Control Panel and set them to Admin Accounts - delete or alter as you wish - then limit the accounts again.
There is probably an easier path but this method should work.

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I tried this method, and it deleted icons from my desktop. How can that be? I went directly into my son's account, and deleted items from his desktop. I don't understand why it deleted programs and short cuts from my desktop. Good thing I didn't empty the recycle bin, Huh?

Anymore suggestions?

Romeyrome

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
The icons may have been in the all users account. As the name suggests modifying this modifies all the accounts on the computer.

sano

sano

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
if they only shortcuts - you can shortcut from programs anytime though C: drive or Start button. Right click - send to - "desktop"(create short cut).
Deleting a shortcut won't/can't delete a program. If you have already icons deleted from your sons account and altered his account back to limited - find your programs through the "start" button or search the C: drive and right click - send to - desktop(create desktop shortcut) on your account.

Edited by sano, 12 May 2006 - 07:17 AM.

Romeyrome

Romeyrome

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thank you! I'll will try this as well.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Also, back to what ZEUS GB said, these icons were probably in the All Users account. If you go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Dekstop, you may see some shortcuts there. Those shortcuts will appear on all accounts, but the programs may only be accessible to certain accounts so you may get errors when you try to run them. What you can do is go to the All Users account, select all the shortcuts, right click and select cut. Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\(your account)\Desktop and paste them there. That will take the icons off the kids accounts and you will have your icons, you just might need to rearrange them.