Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card- PLEASE HELP!

• Please log in to reply

atong

atong

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, Computer Gurus- please help!! I need to Upgrade my video card (GeForce5200) so I can play Oblivion. Here are my specs:

Dell Dimension 8300
Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz
1 gig RAM

my MoBo supports AGP only, not PCI-e

Please help ASAP I am leaving tomorrow morning to go shopping!! Thanks

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well it all depends on your budget what are you wanting to spend?
how many pixel pipelines? all of that stuff but mainly what is your budget meed more info and what is the rating of your power supply?(very important)
troppo

p.s i would suggest this agp card its pretty good and probably one of the bestter if not best agp cards left put there
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102609

Edited by troppo, 12 May 2006 - 12:27 AM.

atong

atong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. My Power Supply is the "Silencer 410" and my budget is $150-$200. I'd rather stick with NVidia, because that makes for a smoother transition??? (upgrading from a GeForce5200)

Is 1 Gig enough RAM to play Oblivion on nicely?? (with a $150-$200 video card)

thanks

atong

atong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How do I know how many pixel pipelines i have?? (I'm assuming somewhow with Everest)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A 5200 doesnt have alot not really important, nvidia to nvidia wont make a difference to transition "smoothness" you are still going to have to uninstall and clean off the old drivers before installing same as you would with an ATI card(you use drivercleaner to clean them).

x800GTOs are decidedly low end, perhaps a gto2 would also be considered better, the fastest card for AGP is an x850xtpe, although a 7600GS would give it a fair run for its money but it has some disadvantages like the 128bit memory interface.