Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do Geeks show a directional preference?

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for whatever reason..i want to know if we as geeks show a preference (either by design or by nature) to turn in a specific direction in our daily travels and chosen paths. so let's do a survey.

pick one trip that you make every day (whichever trip you do MOST on a daily basis, be that, to work, to school, to the store) how long is the trip (one way)? how many turns do you make (one way assuming you take the same path home...if you take a different path home list that as a seperate trip)? how many are left turns? how many are right turns?

(now...let's try to stick to a common format so that i can aggregate the info when i decide the survey is done so follow bellow)

Trip description = to and from work (~25 miles one way)
Total Turns = 9
Right Turns = 5
Left Turns = 4

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Trip description = to and from work (10 miles one way)
Total Turns = 18
Right Turns = 10
Left Turns = 8

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Trip desciption = little village, home to computer shop 100meters
Total turns = 1
left turn = 1

Edited by fleamailman, 12 May 2006 - 05:56 PM.

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Interesting.

9 turns
3 right
6 left

Note: left turns take me past the Lake Erie waterfront.

Hmm.

Lewie

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Trip description = headed to work in a few mins... 14 miles.
Total Turns = 3
Right Turns = 0
Left Turns = 3

return trip, of course, would be three RIGHT turns, and 0 left. I dunno if this even counts though. Living where I do, I don't have a 'preference'. There's only one way I CAN go to get there. :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i tried this and well didnt work well,i commute(no nasty cars for me) and up to the train station it is 6 turns either direction, then when i get off usually given that it varies its usually slightly more left when i worked it out but all the little turns are adding up and i cant count that high easily in my head while going over the trip.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
What makes you tick ? :whistling:

Trip description = to and from work (30 miles one way)
Total Turns = 10
Right Turns = 6
Left Turns = 4

Ok the knuckle ball you knew was going,
lets just say if I pull straight out of my drive way I want to take a right, now the fact that I pull my truck in the driveway going forward ( no room to turn around so I need to back out) when I back out the a$$ end of the truck takes a left to go in the direction I want, is it a right or a left ?
:blink:

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Trip description = To school - 7 miles
Total Turns = 9
Right Turns = 3
Left Turns = 6

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You all live in places with remarkably few turns.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Trip description = To school - 3 kilometers (one way)
Total Turns = 2
Right Turns = 2
Left Turns = 0

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Well i tried this and well didnt work well,i commute(no nasty cars for me) and up to the train station it is 6 turns either direction, then when i get off usually given that it varies its usually slightly more left when i worked it out but all the little turns are adding up and i cant count that high easily in my head while going over the trip.

wrong format scot....list the turns that aren't on a train

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Trip description = To and from work (20 miles one way)
Total Turns = 9
Right Turns = 4
Left Turns = 5

Edited by Fenor, 15 May 2006 - 07:06 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Ok the knuckle ball you knew was going,
lets just say if I pull straight out of my drive way I want to take a right, now the fact that I pull my truck in the driveway going forward ( no room to turn around so I need to back out) when I back out the a$$ end of the truck takes a left to go in the direction I want, is it a right or a left ?

i hate you so very much....my monkey brain can't handle such things...as if you're looking towards the hood of the truck....technically the tail of the truck is moving to the right...now if you're looking towards the bed of the truck...it's turning to the left (sort of like...which way is clockwise when you're tightening that one nut behind the firewall on the truck that you can't get to without removing the engine and transmission while reaching up from underneath the car while standing on your head)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Turns on a train? You must have some very cool trains, i was talking about between home the train and then to uni, driving thats even more turns, mind boggling amount of them at least 30 or 40 in either direction if i drove(which i dont so i drive an xc-90 and it gets a rather pathetic 30ish mpg.

I really want to see these turning trains of yours Dsnette those must be pretty cool. Ours are going to tilt but turning would be more cool.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

list the turns that aren't on a train

Aren't ~ english contraction for the words "are not"