Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Configuring the Wi Fi

• Please log in to reply

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey,

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this. It's kind of hard to explain but is it possible to set up two separate connection slots on one Wi Fi Access Point thingy? I use a Linksys WRT54G as the Access Point router. Um, I remember vaguely setting up an unsecure login network when I was first installing it. Here is a screenshot and maybe someone can help me disable this extra unsecure and unused network? Thanks.

Two_Nets.JPG

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so you're saying you configured the router once when you first got it and connected to it while it was unsecure...then you went ahead and on that same device configured the security?

i would venture a guess that there aren't two networks on the router but in reality what you're seeing in your connections panell is the instance that was logged into before you set the security sort of like the others that are there....

though...to be sure...can you click on it and actually connect to it?

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes and yes lol. It is weird, though. When I connect to it, I get a low signal strength. Hmm, now that I think about it, could maybe someone in my neighborhood just so happens to name the same Wi Fi network name as me? Maybe he is a newb like me too? I did name my first network "linksys" without the security, then followed up with "Linksys", which is secured. Here is another screenshot of me connected to "linksys", the unsecure one. It's weird, when I disconnect "linksys", I get a strong signal. When I connect to it, I get a low signal. Hmm.

Two_Nets.JPG

Edited by The_Wanderer, 12 May 2006 - 09:58 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna ssay that that's a possibility..especially with the large amount of networks that you can see there...someone's got an unsecured network near you and they didn't change the SID name...probably to make it easier for you...you could log into your router and change your network's name to soemething else

The_Wanderer

The_Wanderer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ahh okay.....so I could be worried over nothing, right? I just don't want some hacker guy going on my network and doing illegal stuff and me getting arrested for it.

I've changed my network name, so is there anything else I can do? Is there anyway I can maybe like go into my network and check to see if I have two separate connections going on?

Thanks for the help, mate.

Two_Nets.JPG

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge there aren't any wireles routers that can support multiple networks as such you should probably not worry too much with the signal strength being that low compared to your secured one i doubt that's in your house