Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Dell Inspiron 8200 display seems to have died.

• Please log in to reply

lhcbc

lhcbc

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
(Out of warranty).

How do I verify it is the display. When it was in warranty, it died before. (Actually, you can still sort of see the stuff on screen, it looks like shadows, but you can't distinguish enough to even read anything.) That's what it did before and they replaced the lcd display.

I ordered a used one off eBay, but it too is doing the same thing. I hooked it to an external monitor and that works fine. I don't want to waste anymore money as I did on the ebay thing. Any good advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
From your description it sounds like the backlight circuitry died. Since LCD displays are mass produced they are not repairable. I suggest that you buy a new display with a good reputation. Here's a 17 inch display that costs $210 and is a great buy:

SAMSUNG 740N-Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor

Edited by WinCrazy, 12 May 2006 - 09:26 PM.

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is a laptop, with a 15" display. I need the portability. I have an external display, already. I read something about "it could be the video controller. (According to the specs, mine is an NVIDIA 32MB GeForce4 440 Go). Could that be possible even though the laptop works with an external monitor? Where can you get reasonable replacement lcd displays for laptops; in this case, my laptop? On the back of the display that came on the laptop, it says it is a Hitachi 15.0" SXGA+. Would I need one from Dell? Again, any help would be appreciated.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Oh, a laptop. Sounds like this model has a bad history of failures.

LCD displays are not really repairable, but you might want to take it to a local repair shop. Chances are that they will say it needs to be replaced. I don't know what the feasibility of that will be.

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The problem has been resolved. It turns out that both the LCD Display and the Video Card needed to be replaced. Luckily the parts computer I bought from eBay, had what I needed and after changing out both, I'm back up and running. Thanks for the input.