Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Obnoxious dial-up window

• Please log in to reply

Ken McIntyre

Ken McIntyre

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am temporarily forced to use dial-up while my ISP undergoes teething problems. Connecting was no problem, however , the dial-up connection window pops-up uninvited, even when I'm connected. How can Idiscourage this annoying habit?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > control panel > internet options

Under CONNECTIONS tab, what is selected? Never....Dial....or Always....

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
I used to have dialup myself. In those days, the popup would never show, and I connected only when I told it to.

However, after getting high-speed, the dialup window would open every so often asking me to connect. Even though cable is never offline.

I think its just a vestige problem in XP, that dialup takes precedence over high-speed.

Deleting the dialup connection from my connections window solved my issue.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I used to have dialup myself. In those days, the popup would never show, and I connected only when I told it to.

However, after getting high-speed, the dialup window would open every so often asking me to connect. Even though cable is never offline.

I think its just a vestige problem in XP, that dialup takes precedence over high-speed.

Deleting the dialup connection from my connections window solved my issue.

You really didn't need to delete the connection completely Vaillant.... All you needed to do was to make sure that Dial whenever a network connection is not present under the CONNECTIONS tab in INTERNET OPTIONS was selected, and the popup would go away. It's always better to save the last connection you used just in case you might need to go back to it at a later day for some reason or another.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 14 May 2006 - 08:58 PM.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Didn't know that. I agree we have to keep a door open, I saved the number and username/password in a text file in a good spot just for that.