Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing desktop files from my laptop

• Please log in to reply

joeme

joeme

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I recently bought a laptop computer with Windows XP Profecssional. I also have a desktop computer with Windows XP Home edition. I have installed a wireless router and have it up and running. I set it up so that only my laptop can access the network through the wireless connection.

I have shared my C: drive on the desktop over the router network. On my laptop I can access some of the files on m desktop but not all of them. I get the error message ACCESS DENIED. What needs to be done?

Thanks,
Joe.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
might help if you told us what can and what cannot be accessed

joeme

joeme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I was trying to access files on the desktop of the remote computer.

I read the document you sent me on another post. That document said "The Sharing option is not available for the Documents and Settings, Program Files, and Windows system folders. In addition, you cannot share folders in other users’ profiles." Since the desktop is in Documents and Settings, I moved the files from the desktop to the root directory. I can know access them.

Thanks.

Edited by joeme, 13 May 2006 - 07:17 PM.