Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove the system from one hard to another

• Please log in to reply

Marinero

Marinero

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, All!
Please, help me to recover operational system of my Compaq Presario 2700EA laptop. Previously the IBM hard disk 20Gb capacity was installed in laptop. Disk had two logical partitions
C: (NTFS system) and D: (Fat32 system).
Disk D: contained folders&files:
CPQDRV
CPQS
DATA
config.bat
cto.txt
Vc0.sku

As I know these files & folders are preinstalled operational system & drivers of my laptot. I have recovery CD disk with bootcat.bin and bootsect.bin files, and folder TOOLS containes files Goback.bat и Gb_prog.exe which could recover the system from disk D. Now I have chenged the hard disk & installed Sumsung HDD 40 Gb cap. How can I correctly transfer files & folders from my old disk to recover the system. If I 'm trying just copy old files via CD-r, when loading with emergecy CD from Cmpaq system could not find preinstalled distributives. May be there is any Hiden sectors on disk?
What is the problem?

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Tranfering an operating system from a bootable partition is not easy to do on a laptop because only one drive can be attached to it at a time. However, if you have access to a desktop computer you can "clone" the OS partition to your new drive. You will need two 2.5 inch drive IDE adapters so you can hook up both of your 2.5 inch drives at the same time. I have never done this myself, and so I do not know how to set the drives for master or slave on 2.5 inch drives. There is a free program Digital Dolly that will clone hard drives, but again, I have not used it.

Personally, I think that you should back up your old drive's contents and reinstall the operating system. You obviously have a program to divide a hard drive into partitions, so use it again on your new drive. But, this time create 2 partitions in NTFS format rather than having any FAT partitions. NTFS is much less error prone than FAT.

Edited by WinCrazy, 13 May 2006 - 11:37 AM.