Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP PRO question!

• Please log in to reply

Harley Babie

Harley Babie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My husband has a Dell computer and he has a legal copy Windows XP
Pro It says on the disk that came with his computer unopened that it's for Dell computers only. Is that true?
Next question is all the computers that I own were built by a friend and they are not genuine. All my computers that I have access do have Windows XP Pro on them. (NON-genuine)!!
Is there anyway that I can copy his CD on these computers? More or less over the one that's already on them! Copy Genuine right over the ungenuine copy.
If so can you give me some advice on how to. More or less some directions on how to do the whole thing. I was going to do it on this computer this morning but it recognized that I had it on here.
Thank You!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as far as your husbands computer...is it a dell? if so then yes it's true that that disk is for dells only (in fact...it's for THAT computer only as it's an OEM version)

as far as the rest o f you r question....NO you cannot use his cd on any of those computers (it's an oem version so it wont work anyway but if it were a full version it would still be illegal as xp can only be installed on on e computer at a time)...your best bet is to contact microsoft...if you can prove that the systems came with non genuine windows and that you had no knowledge of that fact...they may send you a free copy of the os or a drastically discounted version

Harley Babie

Harley Babie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I had no knowledge that they were illegal. I paid enough for them. And I've been tring to get in touch of the person that we got them from and he's no getting back to any of us. Thanks for the input because that is exactly what I'm going to do. I don't know why I didn't even think of that. I didn't know that weren't geuine until microsoft came out with their lastest update.
Thanks!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
also...if you report the guy to microsoft...they will actually take action agianst the guy so other people wont get ripped off