Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A problem with Windows 98

• Please log in to reply

Keith_Third

Keith_Third

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz:

Until recently, I've had no problems with my Windows 98.
But a couple of days ago, while trying to open several ZIP Files from the web www.thewalls.ru, I came to nothing. The point is that I always got the same message:

"Windows cannot find WINDOWS.EXE. This file is needed for opening files of type ZIP File"

The location of WINDOWS.EXE should have been at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINDOWS.EXE.

But in all likelihood, it is not there now...

I have no idea of what's happened because everything else with my Windows 98 is just OK! If you have a solution to this problem, please post it either here or e-mail it to me at

[email protected].

Thanks a lot,
Keith.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
It sounds like Microsoft Office works properly on your pc without windows.exe. I looked for windows.exe on a win98 pc - not found. From the info you've given, I would suspect a problem with the.walls.ru.

One test is to find a known safe zip file on your pc and try to unzip it.

A possibly risky test is to copy the zip files from thewalls.ru onto your pc, then try to unzip them. Do this only if you feel this is a site you can trust. I'm not familiar with the site and do not feel comforable enough to visit the site.