Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot up

• Please log in to reply

eaglewings35

eaglewings35

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Help!?!?

I recently had several virus' and eventually had to reformat and reinstall my Windows XP Home.
Well, all went well. When I am "in" everything works great, programs open up fine, accessing the internet is fine, downloading no problems.
My problem is when I turn on my computer, from the Windows loading screen, it takes a while to load up.
About every other time, after waiting for about 1 minute, it will freeze up. I have to hit the reset button before it will go on. (sometimes, I have to repeat this process one more time)

Also, when I try and shut it down, it takes, again, several minutes to shut down. And also, it sometimes will not shut down all the way. It will take the shortcuts off the desktop, but leave the background there.
I then, after waiting, will have to shut it off by the power switch.

Any one know what is happening here? I could sure use the help.

Thanks

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Did you install all the drivers for your computer? Also, is your Home installation up to date? You can use Everest Home to see what drivers you can download.

You can also try to tune up the computer by following these steps:

Click on Start | Run, type prefetch then press enter, in the edit menu, click select all, right click any file then click delete, and confirm the delete.

Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools to run Disc Cleanup, then from System Tools, run Disk Defragmenter.

Click on Start | Run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar. When this finished, reboot.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

eaglewings35

eaglewings35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Thanks, it seems to be working fine now.

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Good to hear! :whistling: