Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata hd not reconized

• Please log in to reply

Michael M

Michael M

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi there,I just registerd here so im new plz bare with me :whistling: I just got a sata hd Maxtor 300 gb and i want to install xp on it,I know you have to make a sata disk driver then press f6 to install a 3rd party and i did that, but after i specify the drivers and stuff then press enter to continue to install windows xp it comes up blue screen stating i cant contiue cause no device found.I even tryed a few things my board supports both sata 1 and sata 2.I tryed to put the sata cable in the other sata1 slot on main board and still the same.I went into bios and put raid on non raid and still the same thing,all sata opt. are on auto in the bios.I even tryed to disable the ide and still the same thing.Any help will be greatful.Thank you for your time in advance.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
go to the manufacturer of the motherboard or sata controller website and get the most recent version...often times, the ones released with the motherboard are bad

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ty for the fast reply you rock.I tryed what you said and the site has sata driver SATA driver
Ver: 5.0.29 and it has sata 2 drivers also witch are small anought to fit on a floppy however i tryed to get the sata ver.5.0.29 and it was to large to put on a floppy my also my motherboard is 939Dual-SATA2 In case you needed to know :whistling: can I put the drives on blank disk or something not to sure what to do I only have a dvd rewritable drive so When i go to install xp and have to press f6 not sure how it will work if i needed to put it on a blank cd.Again tysm for your time

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
windows xp cannot access drivers from anything but a floppy drive (a serious flaw, but recall that when xp came out, most people had floppy drives)

I can tell you with that motherboard and that drive, you must use the sata11 drivers for the harddrive and make sure that you have the sata cables plugged into the correct controller (there are three as I recall)

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,ty for answering so quick again.I tryed a few more things like you said i must use the sata 11 drivers witch i downloaded,then i tryed again to install xp and the same thing keeps poping up so i just wanted to make sure i wasnt doing a booboo lol and had it pluged in the wrong slot and yes your right i do have 3 slots so i tryed it 3 times and each time move the sata cable to differant slot and still no luck any other things i may be doing wrong here.I tryed to mess with bios and all to get it to reconize but still nothing :whistling: any other surggestions will be greaful.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
In Bios setup /advanced/IDE configuration(3.3.4 of manual)

Default for sataii controller is: IDE you will need to change it to SATA

Sata hard drive should be in postion 1 layout no.14

SataII only in postion layout no.10

Manual http://www.asrock.co...9Dual-SATA2.pdf

If you only install sata hd but xp fails to detect it check bios setup and in advanced check either sata 1/ sataii detection

Either way xp will only see 133gb to start with ,however you can partition rest seperately

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ty so much for the reply,I will try that and check the bios to see if everything is were it is suppose to be I did have it in slot 14 like in the manual.However i will double check the bios to see if everything is enabled that is suppose to be.I will get back to ya after I do that and again I ty for your reply and help.:whistling:

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,ok i did all the ifo that you said and i actully have access to the raid setup utility screen now before i didnt.I tryed to continue to install xp and got the same screen then i tryed again in non raid and same thing is there something i need to do in the raid setup utillity screen it has create raid 0,create raid 1,create jbod,stripe size,delete raid settings and partition,delete all raid settings and partions,and rebuild raid array.Not to sure what to do with this menue or if it will even help the hard drive be reconized as far as raid i thought that was to hook 2 hard drives together for max capacity,however im just trying to use a single hd as main drive and operation system.I will wait to hear back from anyone before continuing.Again tysm for your time :whistling:

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
You don't need to set up raid so choose "delete all raid settings and partions" and start again.When prompted for raid do nothing(no F6) then continue to win setup.

btw you may need to choose sata as drive before xp will see hd.It will be looking for ide otherwise.

a Handy tool is Ultimate Boot CD
Ver3.4 released Feb 14, 2006
avail http://www.mrbass.org/ubcd/

has setup and partitioning tools on cd for maxtor HD

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ty sooo much for the helpful info im greatful I will try that and then get back ta ya again ty so much.:whistling:

Michael M

Michael M

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,I just wanted to ty for your help and keep you posted I tryed everything you said and everything I could think of and still nothing.Now I was thinking to my self there is nothing else I could think of.So this is the part I feel stupid on lol,cause I should of tryed this first lol,but I said there is something wrong here so i just powerd up computer and left it in machine.Just hooked up to the power supply without the sata hooked up.Then I turned machine on and left it for a hr running to see if it even got a little hot or warn and it didnt lol,so I then tryed to hook it up to the other computer i built with sata and did same thing let it run for hr and still nothing the drive wasnt even spinning.So i called the company and did an advance rma,so i will have the new drive in 3 to 6 days lmao.Something I should of done first I feel stupid.But anyways i wanted to ty for all the help and when i get new drive I will post back to let ya know how it went.Again im sry if I wasted your time should of thought of that first :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ahh, well, I don't blame you...generally, when we get a new device, we think it is ok, and it must be us.