Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building My First computer Need Help

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I bought a hard drive and a cd burner for the computer I am trying to piece together. I ran into a problem. There is only two IDE spots on my board. One for a floppy and one I supposse for the cd drive. I noticed that there were four spots on my board that I hadn't seen before labeled SATA. I looked it up and it was for hard drive.

My question is: Is there a way I will be able to use my HD and CD drive with that only one IDE slot? I don't have a recipt for the HD but the burner came from a old computer. Have you all seen anything such as this before? I bought my board off ebay or I would post what it was. I appreciate any help.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most IDE cables are dual headed so you can have up to 4 devices, but many also have a seperate channel for the floppy as well.

SATA is the new interface for HDD its not essential but its faster so you should try and get it for your next HDD.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
So it is safe to have a hard drive and cd drive on same IDE cable? Does one need to be a slave?

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
go out and get an IDE ribon with 1 slave and 1 master on it, then conect the slave end to the CD and the Master end to the Hard drive

when it boots up have a fiddel around with your BIOS settings to make sure everything is ok and there are no problems.

Edited by Max-T, 17 May 2006 - 12:13 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Does the plastic piece need to be on the correct pins for slave on the CD drive for it to work or is that only needed if I have multiple disk drives/hd?

Also I have no idea how to hook up the USB. I looked around on the internet a little bit and most of the computer building guides said to refer to the mobo manual which I don't have. I see where it hooks up at but there are more pins then wires to hook up to them and they are not labeled. Any help you all can offer is appreciated.

Edited by Titan8990, 17 May 2006 - 07:00 PM.

A+reyu

A+reyu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
there should be some letters and words on your mobo considering it has SATA and only newer boards have that. find those numbers and search for them on google.

as for the plastic piece, put both of them on cable select and let the cable controll it. master goes on and and slave goes on the middle

that or you could put your cd drive as slave and your HDD as master, either works.