Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

The proper way to clean Registry

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi folks,
Just want to discuss a proper way to clean out registry. We install and uninstall applications all the time and a lot of the times there're registry keys that are left behind. If we're lucky we can tell by the names but if we're not the key's name could be anything from the company's name to whatever.
I use Registry Mechanic 5 and the Registry Cleaner from TuneUp Utilities 2006 but still find lots of uninstalled programs' keys left behind in the Registry.
What do we do?
Cheers
Chinofeliz

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
In my opinon there is only one way to clean the registry out, a format once a year, if you that serious out haveing a clean registry. I would never play with registry cleaners, they are not worth it. As far as I can see they cause more troble than good because they will delete keys they should not. Windows Xp is desigened to handle registry bloat, it is not big deal.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx mate for getting back :whistling:

Yeah there's lot of truth in what you said - I used a couple (can't even remember the names now) registry cleaners in the past and it caused so much headaches - deleting things they were not supposed to exactly.

But have found Registry Mechanic and the one with TuneUp that sort of registry cleaners that don't really hurt (mind you can't tell whether they have made any improvements either).

Thanx again

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Your Welcome,

I find that if you use regcleares and something like CCleaner or CleanUp to clean up temp files, you have a deadly mix. The main reason I never will use a reg cleaner again.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
OMG, I mix use Registry Mechanic, TuneUp Registry Cleaner, SuperCleaner, and CleanUp! everyday - it's a deadly mix? Could you tell me why? Cheers

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
I used to have a list of quotes from post here about this but I think I lost them. some went like this in a mild case.

"Windows XP started looking like 98 after runing cleanup" me "did you do anything else before runing cleanup" him "Yes I ran ------- regcleaer..."

and worse case senario I have told users to format their computer simply because it would not start up at all, that has happed twice.

Edited by Michael, 13 May 2006 - 09:42 PM.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
woooo that'd hurt, what about ... running cleanup first then registry mechanic?

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Well I am not going to test it, I have messed up computer up enought times back when I used to be very active here testing this out.

Simply put, reg cleaners are not worth the time spent runing them. I think they are all hype about nothing.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thank you Michael for sharing the tips and experiences :whistling: