Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! "The system could not log you on."

• Please log in to reply

Agroterra

Agroterra

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I ran Trendmicro's Housecall on my boyfriend's computer yesterday. It found a total of 8 worm and trojan virus' on his computer, as well as 1 Malware on there called BKDR_WHISPER.A. I was able to remove the trojan and worm virus'. Not the malware. Mainly because I wasn't aware that you needed to use a different program to clean it out. I attempted to look on the hard drive via Window's Explorer, which promptly crashed and closed. I then rebooted the computer to try and do a defragment on the hard drive. That is when I received this message upon reboot, "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwards must be typed using the correct case. Make sure that Caps Lock is not accidentally on." This situation happened to him about 2 weeks ago as well, but he rebooted the computer, got the "blue screen of death" with the message of a buffer overrun. He promptly rebooted the computer again, it loaded up fine with no request of a password.

I have ran the Window's 2000 disc on that computer. In which the system goes right into setup. I either get the message, "The system could not log you on." or "blue screen" with primary initialization error message.

I really have no problem with reformatting the hard drive. I'm only having a problem being able to do that. The computer doesn't have a floppy drive on it. Even though I have the boot disc's.

I would greatly appreciate someone helping me to get this computer reformatted so I can get it working again. Thanks for listening!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
HI Agroterra! Welcome to G2G!

There is no need for a floppy disk when reformatting a drive and installing Windows 2000. Just set up the computer to boot from cd BEFORE the hard drive, which can be done in the computers SETUP, and when you get the message to press any key to boot from cd..., just hit a key and setup will start. At the first screen where you have to hit a key to continue, hit Enter. On the next screen you will hit F8 to agree to the EULA. On the next screen you might get a screen asking if you want to repair a current installation of Windows (if the installation CD detects a Windows installation on the drive) or you will get a window showing the partitions on the drive. If you get the screen asking if you want to repair the installation of Windows, hit the ESC key to not try repairing. You will then get to the screen showing the partitions. At this screen, highlight each partition listed and hit D to delete the partition, hitting Enter and L on the next screens. Repeat until you only have unpartitioned space showing. Then hit C to create a partition and hit Enter on the next screen. Now you will be back to the partitions screen again and will notice the newly created partition listed. Hit Enter, and on the next screen highlight Format with NTFS and hit Enter. Setup will now begin.

Fenor

Agroterra

Agroterra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have ran the Win 2k OS disc on that computer. The bios are set to boot from CD, before booting from the hard drive. It goes into the setup promptly, yet before it's finished loading the computer goes to "blue screen" with a primary initialization error message. In which I have to manually reboot the system :blink:

And thank you kindly for the welcome Fenor! As well as your advice!

I'm at a loss as to what direction to go at this point, since the OS isn't making it through setup :whistling:

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you give me the error message, verbatim, that you receive?

Fenor

Agroterra

Agroterra

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah Fenor, I shut the computer down and let it sit for a couple hours. Then proceeded to try the setup again, for the message to reply to you. Of course this time the setup actually has gone through and is formatting the hard drive, it's 35% into it. Cross your fingers that it works this time :whistling: