Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Primary Master hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status bad

• Please log in to reply

jimg1212

jimg1212

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
"Primary Master hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status bad. Warning: immediate back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure is imminent."

Where do I start?? This isn't my computer doing this, but a friends...

Edited by jimg1212, 12 May 2006 - 07:20 PM.

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
First you need to back up your drive as an image on CDs or DVDs. Then when you install your new hard drive, transfer the image onto it. I have heard many good comments about Acronis True Image, though I have never used it myself.

jimg1212

jimg1212

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
[bleep], I was hoping this was just a drill... :whistling: Oh well... He's getting to it... Thanks...

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Sometimes the warning is false, but just in case you do need to backup everything.

One thing to try is to see if the manufacturer has a diagnostic program that you can test the disk with.