Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to wipe drive and reinstall ME...

• Please log in to reply

LadyButler

LadyButler

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I've got ME on an older Dell laptop... Recently installed antivirus software and then all h@ll broke loose! Computer couldn't function due to virus warnings every click. Anytime we tried to delete, quarantine, or really anything else... the same warning would simply pop up again in a few moments. YUCK! :thumbsup:

I disabled antivirus and then quickly became stuck as one of the nasty programs on my computer manages to open 50 IExplorer windows in a matter of seconds... leaving me helpless! I've tried to uninstall some of this stuff... but they reinstall upon startup. ARGH!!! :mad:

So... I need to wipe my drive entirely... I don't mind doing that- except that I can't seem to find any working startup disks... and any attempt to create a new one has failed. My desktop doesn't HAVE a floppy drive... so even if I could find an ME startup online, I couldn't create a floppy.

:tazz: I'm really at a loss of how to proceed. Any insight would be desperately appreciated!!!

TIA-
~Butler

1 more thing- my laptop's floppy is hotswappable (sp?) with the DVD ROM drive... and I also have a cable to have them both connected at the same time. Could I use the floppy drive and cable on my desktop? ;)

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You don't say what op system your desktop uses (XP ?). If it's xp that's a good start. plug in the floppy drive and see if Windows recognises it automatically. Then go to http://www.bootdisk.com and get an ME Boot-disk creator which is free. Good luck

LadyButler

LadyButler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks! (yes... I apologize... desktop is XP!)

Much appreciated!