Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

More than 1 version of Win XP Pro?

• Please log in to reply

AznMystik

AznMystik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have a Sony Vaio computer, and as some of you may know, Sony computers dont' come with a windows xp cd, instead you have to create a recovery kit to reinstall windows. Well, I got my cd key using a key viewer and tried to do a clean install of windows using an original cd that my dad got from his work. However, it says that my cd key is invalid...even though when I go to the microsoft website to validate it, it says it IS a valid cd key....So I was just curious....is there more than 1 version of windows xp pro? And if so...how would I be able to tell what version I have?

Thanks in advance....and Hi to all, this is my first post!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There are two editions of xp pro. The consumer retail edition which is for individuals and home users and which uses Product Activation, and then there's the 'Corporate' edition intended for companies who have many computers. They buy it direct from microsoft -- this does not require Product activation but does need a valid serial number. It's possible the serial code for the corporate edition cannot be used for the retail edition, and vice versa, though I cannot swear to that.

AznMystik

AznMystik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I'll take a look into that, thanks for your help.