Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply

Chipman

Chipman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I installed the new windows defender and it slowed down all my programs to where it takes about 4 minutes for any of them to pull up.

I used the old trick of the last thing downloaded is probably the culprit and it was. I took it out and the computer ran fine. I reinstalled and it turned back into a slug.

I would like to use it if there is a way around the problem. I tried to contact microsoft but after about 3 hrs of go to this page which directs you back to that page I gave up.

Any idea on how to get around the slowdown?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How does it run with Microsoft Anti-Spyware?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Just wanted to say that I tried Defender (Beta1 and Beta2) and found that they slowed response time down to a very annoying lag in everything I did. Perhaps that's why it is still in the beta stage.

I also suggest that you use SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard instead. They have been sucessfully used by many people and do not slow the system down. I have also been using Startup Inspector and have found it to be effective in informaing me when changes are made to my system.

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Perhaps unrelated to Windows Defender, but i recently downloaded ZoneAlarm personal firewall. Since then, whenever going to some websites, not all, I've had to refresh often to get the page loaded. IE and Firefox are both affected.
I'm thinking addons like that slow down internet response?
Also applicatiions seem to take longer to open up.

Edited by Pluto56, 13 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I recently went through a half dozen free firewalls before I found one that would allow file sharing between my 2 boxes. I did not have any noticable slowdowns using any of them. If you like, try a different firewall. The following are all popular free firewalls:

Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro

Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall

Jetico Personal Free Firewall

NetVeda Safety.Net Firewall

I finally settled on Outpost after trying ZoneAlarm and some others.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm only allows file sharing if the connection is in the trusted zone