Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading mobo/cpu

• Please log in to reply

legsyoung

legsyoung

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Right now I have a home made computer that I built about 5 yrs ago and I want to upgrade just the motherboard, the CPU from a 700MHz processor to a higher one. I want to purchase the motherboard and CPU as a combo.
I want to use my same SDRAM and case and power supply.
If I puchase the motherboard and CPU as a combo --- is there anything I need to be aware of. ---- I already know I need to match up the way it connects to the power button on my case and I should get a motherboard that will support my RAMS.
But do I need to worry about the chipset or any thing else if I purchase these items as a combo (the motherboard and CPU)??????????????
I don't do a lot of gaming so a super delux motherboard is not important to me. --- I would like to go up to 1.4 or 2.0 processore/motherboard.
I would appreaciate any comments.
Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Why waste your money on a 2.0 processor and MB. Other than a slight bit more cost for newer ram, you can get a Intel 2.66 processor and a good PCI-e slot motherboard for the same price.

This is not a bad deal since you can upgrade later on to the 3.0 to 3.4 processors and have a PCI-e video card also. I have built 2 computers using this motherboard.

http://www.smksupers...em.asp?ID=14067

SRX660

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
i would generally tend to go amd although they can be a bit pricy,
for a good Motherboard i would say DFI is a good make, there is a really good infinity which i have used for just £60, it comes iwth a very self explanitory manual.

1 what type of Ram do you have?
2 how much are you willing to spend?

im not to sure why you would want to go for a combo deal, but i do know that novatech have some good combo's for £130. and with novatech you get extra ram.

Edited by Max-T, 16 May 2006 - 10:09 AM.