Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Harddrive (capacity failure)

• Please log in to reply

S-OE-A

S-OE-A

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently bought a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB IDE ATA/133 8MB 7200RPM to my computer. I am only getting access to 31 GB in Windows XP.

The funny thing is that the correct size (250 GB) is displayed in CMOS (BIOS).

I have received some support from the dealer, but this hasn't helped yet. (I have tried different jumpersettings without success.)

I thought maybe someone in this forum could help me out before I eventually return the harddrive to the computer shop and get a new one.

My mainboard is EPOX 4PEA+ with Intel 478 Socket. I hope that there is not a compatibility-problem causing this to happen. (In that case it might be necessary to upgrade the mainboard I suspect.)

Best regards

S-A

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
I understand that XP SP1 has a patch that allows a partition size greater than 132GB. Why XP sees just 32GB is a mystery. You might want to play around with partitioning your new drive with Digital Dolly into, say, 2 about equal partition sizes and see what XP makes of them.

Any which way, your XP should be updated to SP2 and the 40 or so additional hotfixes that have been released.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Have you checked the partition to make sure that the rest is just not partitioned?

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. In there go
to Disk Management.

S-OE-A

S-OE-A

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello again, and thanks a lot for your help! You were absolutely right, Kemasa; I mean, after re-adjusting the jumpers I "forgot" :whistling: to check the results in Disk Management in WinXP (Servicepack 2 by the way), and when I finally did that, voila!, 200GB came out from the dark as unpartitioned! :blink:

Sometimes the most elementary, easy steps can solve the presumingly most mysterious puzzles.

Just one little question before closing the chapter: How can I obtain the more or less 20 GB still missing on the new harddrive? Will i have to format the drive all over again, and only create 1 partition (not 2, like now)?

Thank you again, and thank you for running this brilliant forum!

Best regards, S-A

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Many new owners of these gargantuan drives have complained about this. That "missing" space is not really missing. Drive manufacturers define a GB as 1000 X 1000 X 1000 bytes. Software types define it as 1024 X 1024 X 1024 bytes for ease in calculating numbers in hex and binary. So, a 250GB disc is listed as being 232.8GB (if I did the math correctly). Take a look at the properties of your new drive or any drive. The size is calculated and shown both ways.

There also is space used up that is needed to form partitions, file systems and files themselves that is not available for data storage.

Edited by WinCrazy, 14 May 2006 - 08:46 AM.