Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutting down background tasks

• Please log in to reply

hannah50

hannah50

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone - first post here, but a member of many forums, so I should't be too awfully much of a pain. :whistling:

I just installed my Verizon DSL. I'm also a huge fan of The Sims2. Now, before you open the game, most players shut down *all* background tasks ecxept for taskmgr.exe and explorer.exe. Since installing the DSL I see new items in the task manager, which I expected. My question is, can I shut down the following files, or would all or some of them be considered to have to be left alone such as tskmgr and explorer:

ymetray.exe
ybrowser.exe
ycommon.exe
ybrwicon.exe
MotiveBrowser.exe
vzOpenUIServer.exe
cmisrv.exe
VerizonServicePoint.exe
MotiveSB.exe
VERIZO~1.EXE

Thank you so very much to the kind soul who comes along with an answer!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The motive bits should be for the automatic help / repair of the modem, all the Y's are for the browser and it probably would not run without the V's

If it doesn't affect the game, leave them

You can stop any of them with task manager, it will just tell you if it cannot run because of it