Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lighning strike surge

• Please log in to reply

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ummm, I was working and not thinking enough. Does it make any difference I had ethernet plugged into laptop AND tried USB to desktop?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It's on the other side of the lead :whistling: but you figured that out

It's easy to remove, take to a shop for them to check, if you need another one, 15 GBP / 25 USD should be enough

You could try either of these first

http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=257

http://www.bu.edu/pc...insock2fix.html

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I think I figured out where the ethernet card is since that's where you plug in ethernet cable
BUT is the network card where you plug in USB or is it somewhere else inside? If so, how do I locate it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The ethernet card is the network card

You plug the USB lead into a USB socket, something else you figured out, and the signal is fed to whatever is installed for that socket

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
OK, I need to replace NIC/Ethenet/network card. Do you think that is ALL my problem? I guess I'm still hung up on BellSouth saying I had internet protocol problems.
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Network
select TCP.IP->PCI Fast Ethernet DEC21143 Based Adapter, click Properties
GatewayWINS Configuration, IP Address, DNS Configuration - all blank

Are there supposed to be numbers there?

I keep hearing about protocol - some say it's supposed to be listed beside installed network adapter. I haven't seen anything BESIDE listings of adapter. Am I understanding that indicates I have problem?

Is this supposed to be there but since it's NOT then THAT indicates problem with NIC?

Edited by bamakodaker, 13 May 2006 - 07:25 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run the files in post 32, download them, save to CDR and load them onto the 98 PC

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
My apologies for not noticing the links. I will do that. I hope I don't have any problem downloading and burning on Mac then loading into PC! I'm going to try that first. PC transfer will take longer since I have to wait on son to get home (he has the laptop PC).

I'll try that then post here.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
WinsockFix was on desktop from help by BellSouth. Don't know why it's working now - USB modem to PC. On your second suggested link I notice they said you should reboot twice after running program. I did NOT run program in second link as it said certain things MUST be working and they were not in my puter. Ran WinsockFix, rebooted twice **NOTE** THEN I unplugged ethernet to laptop, plugged USB into desktop, rebooted - and things are working.
Earlier I asked if running USB AND ethernet from modem at same time would mess things up - do you think it will?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will / can only use one because they use different protocols, though if you establish the working one, you may as well remove the lead for the other one

The network card would have a light if connecting

Advertisements

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Well, I'm working, I'm online - guess I'll call it done for the night. Now to get another network card for an old WIN98 puter!

Hmmmm, didn't I see a How to build a computer on this site also??? hahahaha Might use it yet!

Thanks for the time and help my friend.
Lloyd

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Here is my current problem -
I don't get smooth start ups, I have to reboot, reboot, unplug ALL USB devices, pray, reboot . . . .

I get flag/windows:
(1) Advanced Power Management
When last time computer tried to go on stand-by it stopped responding - Do you want to prevent it from going on stand by in future?
When I select Yes - if most ofter goes into start up, I'll get background image for desktop but it stops, no desktop icons. I have to reboot and hope it will get past it the next time.
I hit Alt, Ctrl, Delete -
(2) System Busy
Waiting for Close Program dialog box to be displayed. Press any key to return to Windows and wait or hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete.
(3)I've also seen a lot of - Problem with display settins adapter type incorrect of current settings do not work with hardware.

During start up it gets to WIN98 window with scroll/graph at bottom. It will often slow down or stop for a while before proceeding. It will do this several times during start up.

Before this surge problem I rather often have had problems with Stand by mode. I'd set it to Stand by, leave computer, come back it find it waiting to go to Stand by mode. I most often would have to Alt, Ctrl, Del just to get it to unfreeze. Same thing if left alone and it tried to go into Stand by.

I greatly appreciate all assistance!

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
I took the option of preventing it from going to standby mode. Now I do not have that option, nor the option to allow standby.

I can not get puter to Restart. It will sit and sit then I often get window stating - system waiting for Close Program dialog box to be displayed. At that point I keep hitting Alt. Ctrl, Delete till it shuts down - which may take a while.

I have seen that in Safe Mode it will Restart.

In getting some Bellsouth (my ISP) help trying to get DSL modem to connect thru newly installed ethernet card - I get lights at card and modem saying ethernet is OK. However I can not get computer to connect to DSL modem. They say something like TCP/IP Stack is missing?? MinsockFix has been used but does not solve problem.

For a week I used USB. Today it will not work. Bellsouth says Win98 (first edition) will not work with USB. I've used USB with card reader, for over a year. Used Intel USB camera for about 5 years. So I'm very confused.

I guess what I'm asking is if there is anyone who can assist online? I'm using my work laptop (Mac).

I appreciate the help.
Lloyd

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Tune Up, click system control, scroll down list on right to start and maintenance, click exit, put the dot in close programmes automatically, click apply

[attachment=8591:attachment]

bamakodaker

bamakodaker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
Ummm, I didn't mention it in my last post but I have Win98. Find does not locate anything titled Tune Up on my computer. I'm open for other suggestions!