Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot Missing

• Please log in to reply

smitty

smitty

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a P3, 866 with 2 hard drives. I have XP Professional on a 20 gig 7200 hard drive and Mandrake Linux on the other 40 gig 5400 hard drive.

Problem: When I upgraded my 20 gig from Win98 to XP, the option to dual boot {LiLo} went missing. Therefore, I can not get into Linux.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time. I do have Partition Magic with Boot Magic but was unable to get it to work properly.

smitty

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried to restore LILO?

Tim Wellman

Tim Wellman

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
when you installed xp it rewrote the mbr (master boot record)... your linux is still there, intact... if, by chance, you followed the recommendation when installing linux and made a boot floppy, you can get in that way, then go to the boot loader section in linux and reinstall it, I believe...

You can also find the floppy bootup .img file on the 1st Mandrake cd... browse to the dosutils folder (while running windows), then run rawwritewin... when that starts, browse to the images folder and choose the cdrom.img file, and write it to a floppy. You can then boot your computer from the floppy and get back into linux, then see what you can do about reinstalling the bootloader :-)

If all else fails, you can boot from the linux cd, then start to reinstall it... let it just get to the point where it installs the bootloader, then quit... not top notch professionalism, but it has worked for me in the past :-)

Good luck.