Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-Rom Problems

• Please log in to reply

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
I bought Farcry today and when I tried to install it I don't get the Autorun option, just the folder with all the files which I can do nothing with.

I knows its somthing with the drive as I have other games that aren't working and my brother had it working on his computer.

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Darryl, even if an autorun doesnt come up, you still should be able to install the game.

> Open My Computer
> Right Click On the source drive (Eg. D:\ for Cd-Rom)
> There should be an option for "AutoPlay"

This will open a autorun menu if there is one. If not open your source drive and find a "Setup.exe" or "Install.exe" file. Also if you find none of these on the disk, try looking for "Autorun.ini", open it and paste the contents here.

Cool :whistling:

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
When I try to run setup.exe I get "D:\ is not a valid win32 application."

I tried to run FarCry Windows Installer package, but I got another message "This installation could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to vertify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

Heres what I found in the Autorun.ini.

[autor}~]
ope~?FarC~}Au|CD.exe
ic~=FarCry.exe, 0

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Yip, it looks like the autorun is damaged.

Are you sure the game is not a copyied version???

:whistling:

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
No, its the original. I got it in WalMart last night.

Could it be somthing with the CD-Rom? Because my brother was able to install it easy, and Ive had the same problem when I tried to reinstall CoD.

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
This is possible that the Cd-Rom is damaged, but let us leave that as last resort. What programs have you loaded that may be conflicting with the game or Cd-Rom???

Also try updating your Cd-Rom's Firmware.

Cool :whistling:

Darryl

Darryl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Im not really sure of anything that could be conflicting with the drive. my brother said Daemon Tools could do it, but I don't have that installed.

I will try updating the firmware though.