Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Build Beeping on start-up

• Please log in to reply

Sierra54

Sierra54

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ever since I installed windows on this build I've gotten a beep code during start-up. The beep sounds like 1 short high pitched, 5 long high pitched, then one barely audible low pitched beep. This Asus A8n-sli board has the Phoenix-Award bios and I can't find anything close to this code. I have the start-up recorded in mpeg up to the windows display. Is there a site I could post this on so someone could help explain this code? Other than the beeps the pc runs fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:Asus A8N-Sli Bios 1013, AMD 3700, eVGA 6800GS, 2x512 Corsair 3200 ValueSelect, WD 2500KS Caviar SATA, Antec Smartpower 2.0 500W, 2 Liteon dvd burners.

Edited by Sierra54, 13 May 2006 - 11:00 PM.

Advertisements

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Before I can suggest other things, update your BIOS to 1014. This version can be found here: http://support.asus....SLanguage=en-us . Refer to page 4-2 in your motherboard maual for instructions on how to install them. After you installed, see if the beeps persist.

Sierra54

Sierra54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I have considered this. However, I am hesitant to update from my current 1013 bios as the 1014 description doesn't mention updates that I would need. I think that the 1013 bios supports the AMD 3700 I'm using. Can I ruin a mb by screwing up the bios update. Thanks for the suggestion. If it comes to it I will update the bios. Also, where do look to see what chipset drivers I'm running?

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Since this is a fairly new build, you should have the latest drivers if you installed of the supplied CD. Upgrading BIOS is not dangerous if done right - it's hard to mess up if you follow the instructions. Also, check your motherboard and see if your chipset fan is perpendicular to the bottom of your motherboard, or if it's no (diamond-like position). If it's like a diamond, then you have the latest revision of your motherboard (which I have).

One more thing - there is no such error beeps codes that have 1 long, 5 short and one soft for Award BIOS. There's only 1 long and 2/3 short. Here's where I found the beep codes: http://www.bioscentr...s/awardbeep.htm.

Sierra54

Sierra54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
This MB is a revision 1.02 and the chipset fan is 45 deg. offset from the MB. I have continued to try to figure out what is causing this beeping to no avail. I tested each stick of ram individually with no change. Reseated the gfx card, checked all connections, and have downloaded the ultimate boot cd and ran memtest86 for a few hours with no errors.