Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unstable XP, unstable installation...

• Please log in to reply

HarryS

HarryS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey

Really stuck here.
Have upgarded cpu and brought a new graphics card and mobo. Connected it all up then boot from the CD and install windows. But a number of different problems keep occurring.

1. Upon start up the bios sometimes reads the processor speed but other times does not. I have tried 'optimized settings' in the bios.
2. both my CD drives fail to install files during setup, they are both workin fine before. but I have to keep hittin retry during the first part of the installation process.
3. If I do get windows installed then all programs are v. unstable and crash regularly although with no pattern. Even the installation of the final part of windows (username etc) crashes and I become 'Owner'!

It can't be software I don't think...I reckon something is up with the bios or the cd drives but they wouldn't have both broken simultaneously. I made a boot disk then flashed the new bios and then did the CMOS jumper thing but the probs remain...

Thanks in advance

HS

Advertisements