Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Burner and CDROM - Both Missing

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
bios means, do you see the drive on the black screen when your pc starts before windows.

In save mode, reboot and tap f8 about once a second during memory count up and then choose safe mode.

Also, in safe mode, you should be able to log into the administrator account

Advertisements

jjjonesee

jjjonesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I completely shut down the computer before I checked these.
When I turn the computer on it goes, very quickly, from a black screen to a white screen with eMachine logo, back to a black screen, with a blinking underscore, in the top left corner of the screen. Then the underscore is gone, screen still black, the windows xp screen, back to black then to the log on/welcome screen and then finally the desktop.
When I start in safe mode (I only checked under administrator) dbl click my computer the d: and the f: drive (d: is cdrom, f: is burner) are not listed.

-Jeff

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when you opened this up, and checked the cables, did you notice if the two drives are connected to the same cable?

And the harddrive is connected to another cable? Is that cable a fat cable with 80 wires or a very thin cable (the harddrive)

It could be the controller has gone bad.

Emachine manuals are not readily available, so it is difficult for me to walk you through this..
When you see the big E MACHINE logo, in the lower left or right corner, look for ENTER SETUP PRESS ???

Hit that, and enter the bios setup and see if the drives are detected there.

Can you drop a drive in a different system and see if it picks up?

jjjonesee

jjjonesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
What in the world.....?????
I had to step away from the computer and play my guitar, I was getting a bit stressed. I came back and the computer was off. I am not using any power scheme, so unless I shut things down, they stay on. Powered back up, and pulled up some music to play along with, from my hd and not the net. While I was switching songs I accidently closed my music file. So as I was pulling the file back up I glanced over and both my drives are there. I checked with a game and a music cd, in both, and they are both working.
I am no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I am definitely infected with something, right?

-Jeff

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
had you rebooted after cdgone?

Also, the fact the pc shutoff---bad power supply maybe?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to try this

Actually, the filters are usually the problem. Here's an automated script for fixing them, takes the risk of editing the wrong thing away.

Now, if you've deleted some other stuff associated with the drives, you may have done something that this script can't fix. If so, I suggest a repair installation of XP to attempt to correct that.

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

this works for XP and 2000

Edited by happyrck, 17 May 2006 - 06:54 PM.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
:blink: I got a problem kind of like that...
my dvd-drive wont run any cds, lets say i try to play a music cd..
u put the cd in i open the windows media player, and it says that there is no disc in drive :whistling:

Edited by Mike-pxndx, 17 May 2006 - 08:38 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please start your own thread

jjjonesee

jjjonesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

had you rebooted after cdgone?

Also, the fact the pc shutoff---bad power supply maybe?

- Yes I did reboot after installing cdgone, I followed the instructions to the letter.

- If it were the power supply wouldn't it shut off more than once?

- And as far as what happyrck wrote, I'm just wondering if I should wait until I get asked to post and someone has the chance to decipher my highjackthis log.

Edited by jjjonesee, 18 May 2006 - 08:59 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
CD's still there?

Power supplies are funky and result in very odd errors. If you cannot explain something in any other way, check the power supply.

A power supply can die instantly or slowly....I'm not saying that is the issue. I don't know. CD-Roms that spontaneously appear and disappear are not really signs of infaction, but hardware issues. Since it is two, what impacts two CD-ROMs?

Power supply
Possibly the ide controller

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.
try this
Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

jjjonesee

jjjonesee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
First off I would like to thank-you for the help. With my anger and frustration levels rising quickly, I need to take a long break from this computer and all it's problems. So for now I will be shuffling computers around in my house. So I guess this post can be deleted.
Again thank-you for your help.

-Jeff