Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

random lockups because of graphics card

• Please log in to reply

lockheed747

lockheed747

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb RAM and a Gecube ATI Radeon x300 128mb graphics adapter. I keep getting random restarts or in some cases the comp goes blank and then reappears with very low quality settings. THen some message pops out saying 'atidvag' has stopped working properly...or when it restarts a message says device failure...i dont get my comp was working just fine until i got my broadband. Does it have anything to do with it?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

atidvag refers to a driver so you may want to try reinstalling the drivers for the card.

I don't think it could have any thing to do with your broad band but answer me this question, is your modem connected with usb?
If so you installed a driver to make the modem work with usb and could have something to do with this. If you did try uninstalling the modem's usb driver with the cd that came with the modem. Then use the modem thru ethernet ( a more reliable way). Then reinstall the ati drivers.

Rick

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
try checking the cd the ati card came with there maybe a diagnostics program for your vid card there .... you maybe suffering from a thermal event (poor air circulation , excesssive layer of dust ets.....)

lockheed747

lockheed747

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hEy,

my broadband isn't USB so i don't think that is the problem. i have already tried reinstalling my drivers many times and downloading the newer versions , to no effect...i have used Everest to see my computer temps, and my CPU temp is about 55 C .Could that be the problem? I have also scanned my comp for viruses and malware but found nothing.

*Sometimes when my comp restarts, i can see nothing but i can still hear the windows starting up and i can shut down the comp using the keyboard :tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
If 55c is at idle that is warm and will go higher when playing games if 55c is just after playing a game or during then that is normal. You should try and keep the cpu temp under 60c while under load and around 42c at idle

What is the system temp and gpu temp (Everast will tell you) it could be that the video card is overheating check that its fan is working. Ckeck that your case fans are all running or you may need to add some but if the computer worked fine for a extended period before I doubt you would need to add any.

It really sounds to me like the video card is overheating so check them fans, but maybe the card is going bad.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
One other thing, what is your agp voltage?

lockheed747

lockheed747

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey

the fans are working fine including my graphics card one..
there is only 3 temps displayed there

motherboard : 40 C
CPU :55 C
AUX :39 C

and i cant find AGP voltage
it only puts CPU core voltage which is 1.30 v

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Ok your fans are working thats good but the temp and voltage readings ain't making sense it could be your board don't have the proper sensors for Everast I ain't sure but try this, in everast click the plus sign next to computer and then click on sensor and see if this gives you more temp and voltage readings.

If this is what you did before then disregard.

Go into bios and list the temps and voltages reported there and we can compare them to what Everast reports.

The reason I say the readings everast reports don't make sense is because your vcore is 1.3 witch is way low should be 1.5 and your cpu temp at 55c is high so lets just see what bios lists them at because I suspect Everast is wrong.

Once we get this sorted out maybe we can find out just whats wrong.

Rick

lockheed747

lockheed747

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I've checked my bios and it says the exact same thing

(Maybe it is because i live in Malaysia...are the voltages different ?)

petedageek

petedageek

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Have you reseated your cpu lately? I've seen instances hwere just a small air pocket caught in the thermal grease has cause thermal flux and breakdown, such as the one you are reporting.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
The voltage in your wall outlet maybe different in Malaysia from here in the US but that makes no difference to a computer because the power supply transforms the voltage down to what the computer specs.

If the 55c cpu temp is a idle temp I recomend you remove the hs and clean it and the cpu with isopropyl alchol then reapply new thermal paste preferably artic silver5 and reinstall the hs.

This should lower the cpu temp to between 40c and 45c or lower. You can then set the cpu voltage (Vcore) to its specified voltage of 1.5.
Intel P4's will slow down when they sense a overheat problem to save the processor from damage so maybe somehow it lowers its voltage to decrease heat I am not sure how this works.

It seems you have multi problems but get the cpu temp lower first and maybe the rest will work out but you need to start here.

Only attempt the hs reinstall if you are comfortable working on computers if not take it to a shop.

Rick