Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible MB problem, with Hard drives.

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Okay, I posted last week about my computer just completely locking up, I followed all the steps I was given but the problem still occured, So I reformated, it seemed to have fixed the issue but then it returned.

I did some research and found out my Motherboard is a s661GXm-U Rev. 2.2 from Aopen.
I went to their site and found a BIOS update that fixes compatability issues with my motherboard for the two EXACT harddrives I have, ST3120 and the ST3160. I have the BIOS bin, and an EXE file from the download, I double click on the exe, a dos window pops up and disappears just as quick. Now it seemed to have fixed the problem, But I swap out my slave drive for another backup drive thats a maxtor 40gig. Then after putting back in my ST3160, after some time it locks up, but this time it reboots eventually now, to me seeing that my master and slave drive show up as "None" when booting into windows.

I used Winflash, and upgraded the BIOS, not sure if it's going to work. I just thought if I posted some more info about the issues I can get some more light shed on it and fix the problem for good, if it returns. Or if anyone has some experience with this sort of problem could help me some.

So, any ideas? suggestions? possible fixes or a proper or better way to upgrade my BIOS.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Edited by Purgatory, 14 May 2006 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I did some research and found out my Motherboard is a s661GXm-U Rev. 2.2 from Aopen.
I went to their site and found a BIOS update that fixes compatability issues with my motherboard for the two EXACT harddrives I have, ST3120 and the ST3160. I have the BIOS bin, and an EXE file from the download, I double click on the exe, a dos window pops up and disappears just as quick.

This did not run the bios update...if you could have slowed it down, you would have seen a mesage saying something along the lines of "THIS PROGRAM CANNOT BE RUN IN WINDOWS"

Also note, that the BIOS update is a BETA, meaning it could be buggy, and that it is DOS ONLY, meaning do not attempt to run it with WINFLASH

You need to boot your PS with a bootdisk (see www.bootdisk.com) and then add the two files to it

Then, at the a:\ prompt

type

awd860b.exe ang6b09.bin

<enter>

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Ugh, I have no floppys or cdrs.. I used winflash.. and my problem hasn't came up yet, even after several restarts, power downs etc.. Maybe you think I should get a bootdisk and re-do the process?